rebuilding - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2000, 02:14 PM
Bill4x4

rebuilding

I live in the bay area in Calif. and was wondering if some one could point me to a good engine rebuild shop. I have a 1989 toyota 4x4 with the 4 cylinder motor. I would pull and replace the motor. and how much it would cost.
Thanks bill

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2000, 08:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: rebuilding

BUY AN AMERICAN CAR AND MAYBE YOU WON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT GETTIN YOUR ENGINE REBUILT!!!

Does it not piss you guys off when these guys come in here and talk about their piece of crap foreign cars falling apart on them. I mean come on, what do you expect from Japan?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2000, 11:12 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">While I don't have the answer you're looking for, I want to be sure that I make it known that all of us GM owners aren't like the previous poster. Obviously since you have a Toyota it's your rig of choice, and that's no reason to rip on you. Of course I prefer GM (that's why I own 'em) but us in the OHV community should NOT bash other peoples' rigs, now more than ever we need to pull together all different owners foreign and domestic to try and fight to keep our access to "OUR" public land.

Just wanted to be sure that someone said it.

Oh, and for the previous poster that thing was probably made in America, Toyota has been doing that for a considerable amount of time. Probably just as American as our GM trucks. But even if not, that shouldn't prevent us from trying to help the guy out.
</font>

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist
My November article on ORC

http://www.off-road.com/land
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2000, 12:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Now Tim, did your post mean you don't like the divide and conquer rule that benefits the ecology nuts?

jeff
86 4x4 2.8/3.4 jimmy
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2000, 12:53 AM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">If we let the stupid differences like personal preference in choosing a vehicle divide us, we will all lose our land, since if we're not willing to help eachother, we certainly won't stand up together to help fight for our right to access. First the cancer that is the environmental radical movement will completely consume the US, a little at a time, and then it will spread to other places, conceivably Canada and south of the border next, and continue until they are the supreme rulers of the planet. I do not want them to lock up all of the public (and private) land so that only they or people that pay them can use it. Now that is definitely not to say that I don't like the environment or don't want to protect the environment, however at the very least we should be able to keep our right to access the land that all of our tax dollars' pay for. If there is a trail in an area with some endangered thing, fine, we should just be able to relocate the trail to a place that it effects that endangered thing less. Not just close the trail and don't replace it. That is certainly not a compromise I could accept and I hope nobody else would accept that compromise either.

But on the other hand I'm surprised that we have people like this on this BBS. Yeah I like GM's but I won't refuse to help or insult someone who has something else. Maybe jokingly insult their rig, but only if I know the person and it's all in good fun. I find people who just bash other peoples' rigs annoying, and the type of person I don't like to see on the trail is the person who refuses help to anybody that needs it regardless of their choice of rig, or the type that refuses to clean up after themselves or change their practices if it's shown to be harmful.

I hate how some people with OHV's treat others. Some rat ba$!ard stole my tow strap when I went to help the guy out. I had to drive around a dune because it was a directional zone and I didn't want the DNR harassing me or a collision, so I left the strap there for them to hook on but by the time I got around the dune they were gone, and so was the tow strap. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] I'm embarassed to say that the freaks that took the strap were in nothing other than an S10. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] They didn't even have the common sense to put tow hooks on the front of their truck. Oh well they'll get what's coming to them somehow someday hopefully. But that's somewhat off topic, and I'm rambling.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that people who choose to insult, not offer assistance to, or take advantage of others really pi$$ me off.
</font>

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2000, 05:00 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">I'll bet you'd look at Toyota's a different way if you were one of the Americans employed in any one of Toyota's American assembly plants. You'd probably like them because of the job. There are plenty of Americans right here in America that are building Toyota vehicles. Sure the corporate area in Japan get some of the money, but the construction of Toyota vehicles here in the US is helping to create thousands of jobs.

Look at NAFTA. Now as a result many of the components for our trucks are Hencho en Mexico (I belive that's the phrase) because of the ultra cheap labor force there. The things are assembled, in large part in Canada. So NAFTA is hurting the American economy more than Toyota because in fact those rigs are made right here. Do some research. I'm sure you'll uncover some interesting facts.

Plus you mentioned that this is a country of freedom. As such, what rig the guys chooses to buy is his choice and not ours. If he worked to earn his money then the guy can determine exactly where he spends it and how much he spends.

There are several bottom lines here. One is that Asia doesn't buy many American vehicles. Several reasons for this, including price, difficulty in converting them to right hand drive, and other things. That can't be blamed on a company that is based overseas yet has many production plants right here in the US to create jobs. The US automakers need to build inexpensive little cars that the people in the Asian and European markets want, and take portions of the foreign companies' marketshares away. Talking down to someone though that used his money to purchase something he wanted isn't a good choice however, in my humble opinion.

Look at where a lot of the parts on your GM rig were built before saying that foreign cars are hurting our economy. The world's biggest supplier of silicon is based here in Michigan about 10 miles away from where I live. They supply huge quantities of the stuff to overseas markets. That doesn't work too bad, we supply them with the raw materials and the finished products return here.

But anyhow, this isn't econ 101, this is an OHV BBS that's here so we can help eachother out, and all this bickering (and perceived insults/flaming) is doing is making us GM guys look like a bunch of idiots who can't seem to agree that other rigs are ok too. That's my last comment I'm making to this thread I do believe. Here's what I do with my posting and hope others do the same. I post only to threads where I can contribute something. Insults, attacks, economy debates, etc... aren't contributing anything. I hope I'm not bothering anybody, I'm wondering if anyone else here on this forum supports me taking a bit of a stand to support the original poster because the guy was just looking for some help not a bunch of (easily perceived to be) rude comments. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist

post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2000, 05:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm not just bashin on his rig man. It's evertbody. I mean yeh, we are supposed to be a country of freedom and good will but why should we be out spending our hard earned american dollars on Foreign cars. When all we are doing by buying their cars is strengthening their economy, while over here in America we are putting people out of jobs because the americans are buying foreign cars and other foreign products. Shouldn't we be supporting our own nation before we help out others???

post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2000, 07:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well you can believe what you want, but I've come from a family of GM workers. And GM has always supported us, therefore meaning that any Foreign cars bought was another possibility of mass lay-offs. Then where would we be? Out on the streets because Americans didn't want to support their own country and their own people. I give you credit though, in the past couple of years many of the foreign automakers have moved their plants to the states, and we are getting some of their profits. But their is still the fact that they are getting more money than we are out of the deal. Then way I see it is, if people in the US could only buy American made cars than we would get a lot more money from the sales than we are gettin now from the partial profits of the foreign automakers.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2000, 07:17 PM

Mike;

GM supported my family as well. My old man worked at GM Steering Systems plant 2 for over 30 years. I intend to persue a job there once I complete my engineering degree. NAFTA is at a far greater risk of putting people out on the streets than foreign auto makers. This is because American auto makers are greedy and want to be able to pursue as cheap of a labor market as they possibly can for as much as they possibly can.

Japan tried to do that for a very long time. Keep all outsiders out. That doesn't work well.

I still must maintain that in this free and open market capitalistic economy that this Great Nation was founded upon, if you build a superior product, the people will buy it, if not they will choose something else. In other words, without all of the competition in the auto industry the technology would stagnate. Now I'll be the first to admit that the designs for new cars suck as well as the fact that I hate computers in cars. However there are a lot of people who like that junk. They wouldn't have those options had it not been for the open market. If the American manufacturers want to compete they should focus on delivering 1) quality 2) affordability and 3)marketability (everywhere not just here).

If the Big 3 in the US were to produce cars similar to what the foreign manufacturers produce for foreign markets, with the amount of production they can crank out in a year they would have those markets all sewn up as well most likely.

But anyhow jobs that were once given to people here are now down south of the border given to people who are happy to make $1/day or there abouts. Much cheaper than paying a bunch of people at the average going rate here, wouldn't you say? That will continue to get worse as time moves on.

And incidentally without much competition the prices for vehicles would be even worse than they are now. It would get ridiculous. This is just like the computer processor industry. Intel could screw it's customers with ultra high prices until AMD came along with similar and recently better technology and drove the prices through the floor. This is the best for consumers. Since the prices are lower there are a lot more people that can potentially buy one or the other, this benefits all of the companies since that's what spurs innovation and improvements.

So yes I have a very good understanding of how it is to be dependant on GM or other American industry. That money that goes into the foreign companies, by the way, isn't typically funneled into the lower people, it's the big wigs that get it. I don't see what the difference is, either the money gets funneled to the Japanese big wigs or it gets funneled to our american big wigs. No difference, the lower people on the hypothetical totem pole don't see any of it anyway.

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist

post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2000, 07:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ok, i'm not gonna reply to this thread anymore. We both have our own opinions on what is right and wrong for the american people. So let's just leave it at that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode