rear end problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2000, 09:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

rear end problem

hey guys,
well this week i had a new exhaust and a new tranny put in. The exhaust is JBA headers without out the y pipe to dual cats and dual flowmasters with 2.5 inch pipes. The tranny is a new GM 5 speed with mcleod performance pressure plate, clutch, and throw-out bearing. Now with all this ne found power to the rearend i have encoutered a problem. The posi does not spin both wheels on pavement anymore and it will spin only the right side then stop for a second and then spin again while still in first gear. Any ideas? Please. I wan't to get a ZR2 rear end with disc brakes. would this work? Thanks

MudderS10s
91 S-10 4.3L, 5 speed, 3 inch bodylift, 32" super swapper TSLs, 2 inch rear shackle lift
73 CJ-5 mods- way too many to list
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2000, 12:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: rear end problem

The ZR-2 rear axle sounds good, but they have 3.73s. What gears do you have? 4.11s? Not to mention a salvage yard will rape you for any ZR-2 parts. Oh yeah, and it'll be wider than your rear end. Is this posi unit a factory one or an Auburn? I suggest a Lock-Right. Just my $.02
A.S.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2000, 10:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks 355,
Ya i know that the rear end will be wider but thats okay. I have the old 3.73s from my gear swap. I was thinking that i can put the front 3.73s back in or buy new 4.10s for the new rear end. I was also thinking that i could put a detriot in there or maybe an ARB but thats more money. Do you know what size ring the ZR2 is, i forget. Price is not an object the local junk yard is having a $50 carry all next weekend(i hope i can carry the axle) that would be great. As for the stock rear i have an auburn unit that has been replaced twice in the last 10,000 miles. NOT happy with them. Thanks

MudderS10s
91 S-10 4.3L, 5 speed, 3 inch bodylift, 32" super swapper TSLs, 2 inch rear shackle lift
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2000, 07:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The ZR2 is 8.5" same as the 1/2 tons. I hope the bone yard isn't big if you gotta carry the axle out yourself.

Hit? Them tires rub. Rubbin's off roadin.
My web page
http://www.bernie.4t.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2000, 10:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well all you have to do is bring it up to the fence or the line with as many people as you want, just one person has to cross the line with part, so its only like 10 feet. Thanks for the ring size.

MudderS10s
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2000, 05:29 PM

MudderS10, what problems have you had with your Auburn? I've had some problems with mine too and want to compare notes...

<font color=green>Evan</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2000, 08:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

hey shaggy,
The problems i have had:
1st unit.going up a steep muddy hill when one tire got to some nice tracion on a rock i didn't let-up on the gas. Then a loud pop and grinding of metal then the rear end locked solid. After opening the rearend on the trail nothing but pieces came out, the auburn was in three pieces itself. That got replaced for free only after 4,000 miles.
2nd unit.it would not lock the rear tires after 6,000 miles which pissed me off because i got stuck alot on that trip that i found out.

What kind of problems have you had.

MudderS10s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode