Tow Hooks - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2000, 11:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tow Hooks

I was curious about using tow hooks from the newer full-size Chevys on a s-10 and if they'll fit and if anyone has tried it? Those $9.00 hooks make me a little leary, I have been using my brush gaurd to hook to and I dont really like that idea at all, Specially tring to pull out the BIG heavy trucks. Ill admit Ive been lucky.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2000, 12:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Tow Hooks

By $9.00 ones I assume you mean the 10,000# rated ones with the clips. They're pretty good for the price. I myself use the factory ones with my tow strap. They have a thick steel insert that the bolts thread into that slides into the framerail. They're pretty beefy. If your pulling out trucks that weigh over 10,000 lbs. I'm sure something else will break before the hooks do. I use the $9 ones in the rear under my bumper.
A.S.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2000, 01:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I found hooks for about $9.00 but there more of the pretty chrome type,and I want some security when I tug( call me peranoid)10,000 to 15,000LBS would be nice . I know on an S-10 it's a little overkill but rather safe than sorry.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2000, 09:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a set of hooks from a 98 or older z71 on the front of mine. They are the same distance from hole to hole and fit right where the factory tow hooks fit. I just like the look of the flat hooks instead of the factory ones the curve down. Although I do belive the factory hooks are damn strong or the 9.00 dollar one would work fine also.
Good Luck

Nick
[email protected]
83' s10 extended cab 4x4 supercharged 2.8l v6
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2000, 10:05 AM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">When a friend of mine with a 91 Z71 tried to unstuck my suburban, we bent his tow hook pretty good. On the other hand the S truck wouldn't budge that thing anyhow so that may or may not be relevant.</font>

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist
My November article on ORC

http://www.off-road.com/land
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2000, 10:18 AM

I priced them at the dealership and they are about $30.00 a piece. Chrome tends to make the underlying metal a little brittle. You're right, you've been lucky!

I wouldn't skimp on something like this. 15,000 lbs. may seem like a lot, but remember that when you are pulling a truck out of something like mud you are dealing with all the resistance the truck and the terrain provide. It could be much much more weight than just the truck itself!

It's like tow straps. I never buy anything by the "snatch-and-stretch" types with the nylon webbing (flat, about 20' long). Some of them are rated to up to 50,000 lbs.!

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

http://members.xoom.com/desertride/index.htm
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2000, 04:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

On my 94 S-10 the hooks are horizontal instead of vertical like yours. I've pull some heavy stuff with mine other vehicals and rocks the size of my box and they have never broken. I would say go to a local junkyard and gets some factory ones for a few bucks. I would feel the same with those 9 dollar ones, meaning i would trust them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode