removing front swaybar - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2000, 06:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

removing front swaybar

Okay guys i was looking at my susp. in great detail this weekend and found that my tires have a nice spot rubbed into the swaybar. Would this be okay to take right off. I have bilstein shocks(stock 153,000 miles and still working, just rusting) and will be changing to rancho 9000s. is this okay or will it f*** everthing up. And will i get anymore travel out of the front end or not. Thanks

MudderS10s
91 S-10 4.3L, 5 speed, 3 inch bodylift, 32" super swapper TSLs, 2 inch rear shackle lift
73 CJ-5 mods- way too many to list
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2000, 09:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: removing front swaybar

I don't think that it would be a great idea if you plan on driving it for every day use. Recently I took a trip to the Badlands in western ND and somewhere out there, I broke off a front sway bar mount. Well I drove it back home 350 miles away. It wanted to rock side to side really bad! I think that if you were to do to that it would improve off road travel though. but not much else.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2000, 12:20 AM

The swaybars are really handy when hitting corners and turns on the street. I don't think they provide MUCH travel when they are off, but they do provide some extra travel. Like maybe a half-inch to 3/4's.

The only real way to go around this problem is to get some shocks that are WAY stiffer than normal. Like coil over shocks or reservoir race-type shocks. But then you're spending $300 per shock! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

If you want to play with it you can. Just be REALLY careful in corners and turns. The body roll will be excessive, like previously mentioned, and rollovers are possible...

Hope that helps.

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

http://members.xoom.com/desertride/index.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2000, 12:29 AM
Addict

Contrary to popular belief on an IFS system, removing the swaybar will not give you any more travel. By design they are limited to 4.5-5" total split betwen up and down. If you don't believe me take a measurement with your truck setting at the stock resting height and put a jack under the frame and take it all the way up on one side until the tire comes off the ground. It will droop out at about 2.5" total and hit the limiting snubbers. And if you let all the tension off of the Tbars it will be around 2-2.5" total. This is by design to keep the proper geometry for the CV axle joints. In the newer trucks if you turn them up all the way you really run the risk of pulling a half shaft out of the diff completely. GO to S-10 4x4 and download the Superlift install instructions and they will say almost as a quote of what I just said. You need to find out what's rubbing that swaybar and if it's the inside of the tire, find out if a balljoint is causing it to roll in or the offset to the inside is too much or something to get the tire off of the sway bar and not rub anymore. And you will experience terrible handling problems without it on the highway. Hense the term "SWAYBAR disconnects" !!!! They are designed to be disconnected for trail use and hooked back up for the drive home. Find out why it's rubbing and fix it and get a new or used swaybar. There are people all the time scrapping on this site and others or the local junk place. When you install that sucker use the new poly bushings instead of rubber stock ones and it will have more travel on trails from less friction. Be safe.

Tom "Deep Sea Diver" Brantley
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2000, 01:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

What rims do you have?

Turn the wheels until they hit the sway bar, I bet you'll see the other tire touches the frame in the back, so will not gain anything by removing the swaybar. The rubbing on the swaybar and frame will not hurt anything (nothing to cut the tire) besides rubbing off a little paint. It's a bit annoying when trying to make a tight turn though.

Hit? Them tires rub. Rubbin's off roadin.
My web page
http://www.bernie.4t.com
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2000, 01:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hehehehehe.. Swaybar.. Hahahahaha... Whats that?? And I dodge traffic on the 405.. Never had one and never missed it.. Body roll, yea just make sure the lid on your Big Gulp is secure.. Made many of emergency maneuvers to avoid the ones lower to the ground with no problem.. User preference..

-Troy '<font color=red>WeaZle</font color=red>' McCarty

post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2000, 03:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks guys,
i guess i can take it off and try it out. Hey if i don't like it i cna put it back on. Yes the tire does rub the frame as well as the swaybar. That will all be fixed when the new rims come in or the money i should say.

MudderS10s
91 S-10 4.3L, 5 speed, 3 inch bodylift, 32" super swapper TSLs, 2 inch rear shackle lift
73 CJ-5 mods- way too many to list
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2000, 07:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think you may have the wrong offset rim. I wouldn't recommend taking the sway bar off.makes the truck harder to control. Go with Tom's (diver's) idea with finding the problem and fixing it. Get the swaybar disconnects you end up with the best of both worlds-better offroad articulation and less sway on the pavement.I think the way you measure for backspacing is to(and correct me if I'm wrong is to remove the wheel and put a straight edge against the rotor where the rim mounts to and measure from the straight edge to the frame or whatever sticks out the furthest and subtract 1" from that measurment ie:from straight edge to frame or whatever protrudes out the furthest 4.75"- 1"
backspacing will be 3.75" or 3 3/4"- hope you can make sense of this-craig

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode