BFG a/t's or m/t's? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2000, 07:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

BFG a/t\'s or m/t\'s?

I'm going to have to buy some new tires soon to replace my 235/75/r15 goodyears. Vehicle is a 96' s-10 blazer 4x4 2dr. and will soon have a 2in. body lift, add-a-leafs in the rear, and minor torsion crank to level it out in front. I want 31-10.5-15's for sure but I'm stuck between these two tires. Most of the off-roading I do is in the mud but I do a little bit of semi-rock crawling. I usually only get to go a couple of times a month but probably more once I get my lift and tires done. I also put a lot of highway miles on it but live in the country and have to take gravel roads every day. Usually the gravel out here chews up my tires pretty bad so I want something that will last. As far as road noise goes I don't mind a bit if hum but nothing extreme. I do however like the look of the m/t's better but I hear they wear out faster on pavement?

Any people with first hand experiece with these tires (or if you want to toss in some other suggestions) would be great.

by the way...I'm new here my name is Cody and I live in Cushing Oklahoma.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2000, 08:42 PM

Re: BFG a/t\'s or m/t\'s?

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Cooper STT's... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] But they are a little louder than a BFG M/T...
They look about exactly like BFG M/T's and tend to be a bit less expensive (although the quality is comparable) and Coopers are said to last longer than BFG M/T's...

I should mention that I have STT's in the 235/75R15 size, instead of 31's, but I bet the similarities carry over.

Cooper STT's

Now let's see, did I forget anything that TEX usually includes in his tire posts?
</font>

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist
My November article on ORC

http://www.off-road.com/land
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2000, 08:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have worn out a set of 33x9.50x15 BFG A/T. They were a great street tire. by rotating them they lasted a long time. I did not care for there off-road qualities, side walls did not hold up well put a stick through one (was not even off-road) I like super swampers, my tire of choice 34x9.50x15 used them great off-road tire but very loud on street. I once got a good deal on some 35x12.50x15 Kumo M/T they were a good all around tire. Hope that this helps

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2000, 08:59 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">The only downside to swampers is the guy said he does a lot of highway miles. And from everything I've heard (no personal experience but have talked to a lot of people with personal experience) from people who have swampers is that they rock in mud, however they wear out very quickly on the street, usually gone in less than half the miles you can expect out of M/T's or Cooper STT's.
</font>
Tim
ORC Land Use columnist
My November article on ORC

http://www.off-road.com/land
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2000, 10:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My buddy has the Cooper STT's he loves them ..he said when they wear out he'll buy them again.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2000, 12:18 AM
Addict

True on all the posts. I have AT's and they pick up rocks to bad and beat the rocker panel paint(I'll never buy them again). The MT's are great, but expensive. You have 2 more options here too. You can go with the Explorer ProComp tire that has siping for rain and stuff for highway, but my next tire will be the Wrangler MTR. I can get a 35x12.50x15 MTR from WALMART for $167. 95 ea. That same tire at Goodyear is about $245 ea. Also, there is a tire that is featured by the webmaster over at http://s10-4x4.com. And this tire can be bought at Walmart too for $110 ea for a 35x12.50x15. The tire size you are looking at should be about $100 ea. Sears and Montgomery Wards is a good place to find tires cheap on sale all the time too. All of these tires have a tread like a Cooper or MT but the MTR and will do well in the Mud, Tom

Tom "Deep Sea Diver" Brantley
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2000, 12:40 AM
Keyboard Implanted

The Procomps are an awesome tire and a lot cheaper than BFG's

http://www.skyboom.com/Robison
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2000, 01:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have 31x10.5 BFG mt's, they work great on and off-road. A little harder to stop in the snow. Best money
I ever spent. There cheaper in Canada. by alot

post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2000, 01:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

sandman is right the swampers do were out quickly on the pavement.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2000, 02:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had M/T's uniroyal though good tire but they were gone in a year. Now i got General Grabber A/T's and those are a great time they have a wide open tread unlike the bf so they are pretty damn good in the mud. The bf's clog really easy plus the general is 20 bucks cheaper than the bf. The general is a really good tire.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode