Preparing the truck for winter... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2000, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Preparing the truck for winter...

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Well, I figured since it's about that time of the year when that cold, white powdery stuff starts to fall from the sky, I'd bring up a discussion about what you guys do to prepare for it, what you keep in your rigs as safety equipment or other useful items, whether you put anything heavy in the bed (or back for blazers) to improve traction (if yes, then how much and where do you position it, by the tailgate, middle, or by the cab?) and perhaps whether you do anything special to get the truck in condition for the snow?

Already this summer, I changed my coolant/antifreeze and tested it, so that should be ok, changed oil recently, new battery (850cca I believe), changed tranny/tcase fluid. Still might change differential lube to synthetic but not totally sure on that one though. Anything else you guys would recommend?

I have a packet of stuff with a couple of those shiny folded up metal blanket thingees, will likely get a collapsable shovel from an army surplus store, some flares, a pair of ABC rated fire extinguishers, extra coolant and oil. Am I missing something? Oh yeah I have some tools in there also.

Thanks for the input [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img].

</font>

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist
My November article on ORC

http://www.off-road.com/land
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2000, 12:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Preparing the truck for winter...

That's why I have me a Blazer. 365 days a year I have it loaded to the top of the tailgate with junk. Folding shovel, tow chain and strap, antifreeze, oil, trans, and gear oil. Haynes repair manual, full tool set, assortment of spare parts, work clothes, pipe (the equalizer). The list goes on and on.

I have to get rid of the POS stock jack and puny 205/75 spare. No flares or fire extinguisher. Instead I carry marshmallows and sticks [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img].
I need to get some spare vacume hose for the front end. I know I'll split another hose at the most inoppertune time...again.

With the old 2wd Chevy, we built a box out of 2x6's that fit snug between the wheelwells and tailgate and filled it with sand. I'd guess 500#, I'd say about 1/2 that for a s10. No worries of a hard heavy object flying through the back window and a little on the ground for traction if needed.

We just got our first snow tuesday night 4-5". It snowed like hel!, but the ground was too warm and most of it melted by the time I took the pic.

Hit? Them tires rub. Rubbin's off roadin.
My web page
http://www.bernie.4t.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17-263870-firstsnow(11-14-00).JPG (28.6 KB, 6 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2000, 12:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

wll every year i go to a hillbilly place called Fetlas, i can bet you a folding shovel. WWII style for like 6 bucks... it workes great. last year i had a 91 s10, 2.5- 5 speed 2 wheel drive, i cleared sidewalks for my company, i had 1300# in the bed it would go anywere do yall remember the blizzard we had a few years back, i was in it with my trusty chevy never got stuck, my partner had one identical to mine and beached his about 3 ft in the air on a drift, but anyways, start stacking weight tward the cab to put weight on both sets of wheels, if you put it near the talegate it unloads your front tires... I know from experence...
I now have a 4 wheel drive blazer and its really squrilly in the rain i hate to see it in the snow we get here.
well i'm babbling prob, so i will let yall goo
See Ya
Tim

88 blazer
Like A Rock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2000, 06:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yep! Thats why I put a cap on my truck.I also mounted my 235 spare and my Hi-Lift back there. I'll be putting some sand back there too, probably next week.
I'll also be putting the winter blades on the wipers as its getting in the twenties at night now.
A.S.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2000, 10:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If that white powdery stuff starts to fall around here (So Cal) I would hate to see what the 405 would look like.. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] That would mean that hell is really freezing over.. We do have lots of sand tho.. I could box some up for ya guys!! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Keep some of those little warm packets in there too and a med kit.. Try and change a tire when its 5* with frozen hands or install/fix chains.. Roll of duct tape, zip ties, bailing wire.. Never know when something will partially come off.. I do like the sticks and mellows idea.. Water, blanket, power barz.. Just think of what you might need if you get stranded some where for a few hrs.. Been there and done that in Colorado in a blizzard and was stuck in the car with two other smelly guys for 4 hrs.. We got thirsty.. I think that was our only problem.. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]AAAARRRGGGGGG LEMME OUT LEMME OUT!!!!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Sorry i do that every once in a while for some reason..

-Troy '<font color=red>WeaZle</font color=red>' McCarty

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2000, 08:55 AM

Tim
I keep a 10x12 tarp in my Cherokee; so I can crawl under the Jeep without getting cold and wet; also a winter sleeping bag to keep you warm if stranded.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2000, 04:11 PM
Old Hand

I'm sure you already know this, but a tall skinny tire is better than a wide one in snow. We've always had good luck with 235/75R15 goodyear on/off road tires with 400-800lbs. over the wheel wells. Only 2wd and would go through 8" up hills no prob.

John
Red 89 Ranger 4x4, 2" lift
Dad's Red 97 Chevy 2500 H.D.
Grandpop's Tan 85 F-150 "tanbuddy"
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2000, 09:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The one thing that no one has suggested yet is cv's. Before I move to sw missouri i lived in the mountains of New Hampshire I know how snow can become a pain. the reason why i suggest the cv's is one time a cv joint went out on me, on top off the snow bank that the plow left, spent that afternoon digging the truck out. I would normally take a saturday when the weather was nice, remove the cv shafts, clean the joints to remove any thing that might have got past the boots, install new grease, retaining straps, inspect boots replace if neaded, that year i did not do it after the fourwheeling season and i paid for it. it sounds like alot of work but i have only had to replaced 2 or 3 cv joints in my truck in the 10 year that i have owned it. Good luck prepping your truck!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode