Need some advice - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 11:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Need some advice

Hey guys! Just about got the 85 back on her feet. Pictures to follow. I need to know whats the biggest tire I can run with the 7.5" rear end? I currently have 31's with the 4.11s. Will 33s overload it? I plan on doing the add-a-leaf/t-bar crank in addition to the 3" body lift already installed. My next item to address is a 3400 SFI swap, then a D30 swap along with probably a D44 rear(springover) and 35" boggers. I'll probably swap to a Beefed 700R-4 and an NP231 in the final stages before the SFAs and 35s, as I doubt the T-5 will take the added strain. Do these sound like good ideas? Would a ZR-2 rear axle take as much abuse as the D44? This will be a primarily off road truck, and the 3.4 will be stock except for a cold air intake and K&N, and I'll be running 4.10s with a Lock-Right rear and open front diff. I'm also working on the custom flatbed and a HD rear bumper, maybe an exhaust stack!(for added ground clearance) This truck will head up Rebel 4WD, a new off road club I am starting here in Ohio, and will showcase what an S-10 can be-so any suggestions you have will be appreciated because this forum is where it all began. So, Thanks to everyone who has or will participate, and keep the dream alive!
A.S.
REBEL 4WD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2000, 10:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Need some advice

The 10 bolt from the ZR2 is just like the full size.. It has the 8.5 ring gear and not the crappy 7 5/8.. It also has the correct lug pattern to what you have now.. The only down side to the 10 bolt is it has C-clips to hold the axle in.. You break an axle and the shaft will come out along with the tire..I think 96 and newer have disk brakes..[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Now the D-44 you want is from a 87-88 J**P XJ or MJ (truck xj not sure what years.. mine is a 91).. Verry rare!!!! They are the perfect width.. No C-clip.. Huge drum brakes.. Disk conversion is only about $310.. Thicker axle shafts..It will have the same lug pattern as the D-30 you get.. You break this axleshaft and you can pull the peices and keep on going (with no power to that wheel of course).. The shaft is held in by a bearing plate near the hub..
I went with the D-44 vs building up the small 10 bolt that has no locker selection or really any upgrade parts.. The larger 10 bolt does.. Up to you.. Whatever you find first I guess.. Both of those axles will be verry hard to find.. Keep in mind the Dorf I mean Ford [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Exploder has an 8.8 with disks that everyone talks about.. Prerunner guys really like this axle..

-Troy '<font color=red>WeaZle</font color=red>' McCarty

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2000, 11:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was told not to go over 31's with the 7.5 if you drive like me.

Now, for some opinions:
Auto, hmm, I'm a row yourself kinda guy. (insert joke here) But an auto is nice and friendly on the driveline. You can get yourself into bad situations with a stick if you pick the wrong gear, but sometimes the auto decides to downshift at the worst possible times. So it's just a matter of perference.

Isn't the D30 an inch or so narrower than the stock track of the s10? The ZR2 would be 3" wider than stock, so that may pose a few problems. Good luck finding a 5x4 1/2" BP D44. Most are 5x5.5 or 6 bolt, which poses new problems if you want to roatate tires. IMO, the 8.8 and 9" rear are good candates. http://hiqties.hypermart.net/9inch.html

You may want to jump over to the dark side and ask the jeep guys how well the D30 will handle 35" boggers.

I think the NP207C would handle 160hp without a problem. With a 35" tire, I would go for a 4.56 or 4.88 gear. The 4.88 would put you back to the stock ratio.
Why a bogger? Word on the street says they need a lot of power to spin. Wouldn't a TSL or similar be a better match for a small V6?

Just some random thoughts on the subject. Oh well, back to work.

Hit? Them tires rub. Rubbin's off roadin.
My web page
http://www.bernie.4t.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2000, 01:42 AM
Keyboard Implanted

The D30 sucks if you plan on doing any offroading, especially with more than a 33. The D35 is a better diff but still use's those C-clips %$#$%

http://www.skyboom.com/Robison
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2000, 05:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the input, guys. I totally forgot about the C-clip issue. I may go for 33" TSLs now. I really like the D30 with a warn lockout kit and some D44 u-joints it should handle the V-6 and 33s! The reason I was leaning towards the auto(700R-4) beefed of course, is I don't know how long the T-5 would last behind a 160-180HP 3.4, especially with 33s and I'm not sure about the ratios. Don't get me wrong, I love a 5 speed as much as the next guy. I'll probably hunt for an MJ D44 for the rear then, so it'll match the front bolt pattern, and since its soo much better. What kind of Locker should I get? A Detroit-remember this will be a 90% off road vehicle. So a ZR-2/Highrider has the 7.5" IFS front(fullsize) and the 8.5" fullsize rear 10 bolt? Wow! maybe I should convert this thing over to that-should be able to find a wrecked ZR cheap. Just rambling on. Thanks.
A.S.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode