2.8 carb to T.B.I. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 07:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

2.8 carb to T.B.I.

Hey all,
New to the list and S-10s. I have a wrecked 84 S-10 with a great running carbed motor and a great looking 88 S-10 blazer with T.B.I. and a bad knock. What would be my easiest swap, the 84 motor, carb and all or the 84 but put the TBI on it? Is this doable? i also have an 84 S-10 all tuned up ,timing right but occasionally stumbles on acceleration and blows out some black smoke. Choke doesn't look like its sticking, any suggestions? Great site by the way, thanks in advance for any help.

Dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 07:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 2.8 carb to T.B.I.

I'd suggest running the 88 till it blows then using the 84 engine in the 88 with the TBI, intake, and heads from the 88 on the 84 shortblock.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 07:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well.id first think that it sould work fine ..But you.ll have to switch intake and and the distributer for the elec.ignition ..cant remember if the old ones had that .Im pretty sure that the difference was the fuel inj. But someone will correct me Im sure..lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 08:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The Intake will bolt right up. But you will need to swap in all the newer sensor. Is the 84 4x4? if not then you will have to look further into it. Also in 84 I think they had mechanical fuel pumps? I think they sell a plate to go over where the fuel pump should be but not sure on that on either.
Good Luck

Nick
[email protected]
83' s10 extended cab 4x4 supercharged 2.8l v6
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2000, 08:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Oops and lets not forget the timing cover and harmonic balancer. Also all the brackets and pullys to go with the serpentine belt.

Nick
[email protected]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2000, 09:08 PM

Just need to play with the idle fuel mix then. It may or may not be visible currently. If you can see a metal plug on the front of the carb on the base plate then you'd have to pull the carb and do some cutting to it i believe to get that stupid plug away from the adjustment screw.

Which swap you want to do will be up to you. One option you could do is replace the 2.8 with 3.4L you can do a search on this forum and you'll find some info on that swap, it'd be a direct bolt in although you'd have to modify the compooter a bit (swap it) if you chose to go fuel injection. But you can get a Holley carb and intake for that 3.4 if you wanted to go that route.

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist
My November article on ORC

http://www.off-road.com/land
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2000, 09:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Sandman,
I think I found the screw on the front of the carb pointing on an angle toward the drivers side headlight? Anyway I turned it in 1/2 a turn for starters would that lean out the mix or richen it up? I haven't test run it yet. Regarding the carb motor to T.B.I. swap, I was looking at rebuild kits in a PAW ad in a hot rod mag and they have 2 different kits for 81-84 and 85-89 2.8s.Does anyone know the difference between these years? Would the difference (if any) affect the swap I'm gonna attempt shortly? Lastly ,in the same mag I saw a couple 350's bolted up to 700r4 trannies, I think I saw a few posts where people weren't sure if they would or not.Thanks for any help, Dave

post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2000, 09:41 PM

Yup that would be the idle mix screw. Turning it in should lean the mixture, and out should richen the mixture. I will check with that booklet Holley included with the rebuilt Rochester Varajet II carb that I got (they rebuilt it). I owe someone a copy of that anyhow, so I'll find that tomorrow and scan the adjustment info... You need a vacuum guage to accurately adjust the fuel mix, and it helps to set the timing also.

The 81-84 had smaller crank journals (I believe) and the 85-89 ones had bigger ones, as well as a different style rear main seal.

A 350 will not bolt up to a 700r4 transmission found in a 2.8L powered S10. Those have a different bolt pattern than the smallblock chevy pattern.

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist
My November article on ORC

http://www.off-road.com/land
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2000, 08:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think sandman is right about the journals, and I know he is right about the rear main seal. You should still be able to do the swap, because the should be the same. Just before you do it check were all the sensors go. Like the knock sensor to make sure there is a place for it on the older block.

The 700r4 was made for both the 60 degree blocks(2.8,3.4) and 90 degree blocks(4.3,5.0,5.7) so one from a 350 won't bolt to a 2.8

Nick
[email protected]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2000, 08:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the info guys. I just wanna make sure I have everything right before I start tearing things apart.Dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode