Whos a troubleshooter? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 04:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Whos a troubleshooter?

My blazer is all pissed off!! It is missing badly when the engine is under a load, like accelerating or pulling its self up a hill. checked EGR,cap,rotor,injectors,map sensor,tps,idle air control, and I'm running out of patience I work full time and go to skchul at night so my time for maintainence is about as limited as my budget. I'm tired of wrenchin at my lunch break please help if you have any suggestions 89 4.3l s-10 blazer

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 04:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Whos a troubleshooter?

kinda sounds like a fouled spark plug- is it a multiport or throttle body injection-craig

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 08:38 PM

in my 89, i had kind of the same problem. if i accelerated slowly, it wouldn't miss. but if i accelerated hard it would miss. it was kind of weird. it kept getting worse over time. i changed my egr valve, coil, plugs, bunches of other stuff, fuel filter.... i had some bad plugs, so i replaced them, and they went bad again.... it ended up being 2 bad valves. so i had the heads cleaned up and redone... the engine had about 130,000 miles on it. hope that might help you.

Craig

'89 S-10 4.3L 31" Yoko M/Ts
'88 Kawasaki Mojave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 08:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Try a good sent of plugs and wires my dad recommends that he works at a dealer as a service manager if that doesn't work he says try compression test on the cycleders.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 10:46 PM

Check the timing. If it's too far advanced it can feel like misfiring when under load methinks... In addition to what the others have said, of course...

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist
My November article on ORC

http://www.off-road.com/land
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2000, 11:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My '86 was doing the same thing, missing under load, low rpms... turned out to be the coil wire! Definitely check your wiring.

Warren
'86 S10 Blazer, 2.8 TBI, 700 R4, 266,000 miles!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2000, 09:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sounds as though everyone has covered everything so I'll only add this. I had a similar problem on my 89 and it wound up being the plug wires and ignition coil. I isolated it by running the truck at night in a very dark area and when I looked under the hood I saw blue arcing coming from the wires and also from the center portion of the ignition coil that's mounted in the square bracket. Replaced all and truck runs fine. Marty

Marty O.
89 2.8L S-10 Blazer 3" Body LIft
01 Jeep Cherokee stock
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2000, 01:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just wanted to thank you guys for all the input, I'm finally going to have some time to work on it this weekend I'll post the solution when I figure it out. I have a buddy at Firestone that had one come in with similar symptoms it his was the cold temp sensor next to the thermostat, keep the computer in a cold loop and was runnin the truck real rich, I replaced my sensor (su109) just to see but that wasn't it either o'well

post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2000, 03:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sounds like you have one or more arcing spark plug wires! Electricty flows to the least resestence!! To check to see if you have a bad wire do this at night. Start the engine and spray some Windex or soapy water out of a spray bottle onto the spark plug wires. This will show any arcing wires. You will see blue electricity jump from inside the wire onto metal. If that doesn't show any thing have somebody apply a load to the engine by having somebody inside the truck while running and apply the brakes and give some steady gas this will put a load onto the engine. So you should see arcing if it's the wires. Or just grab the wires and run you hand around all the wires if you get shocked you found your problem. Good luck

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode