Solid Axle Question -- Which sprigns? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2000, 10:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Solid Axle Question -- Which sprigns?

I am in the process of getting all of my parts together for a solid axle conversion. Which front springs should I use? I will be fabbing my front spring mounts if that is a factor. Thanks for any input!

fullreversal
Mud, Snow, Rain??
All-Terrain!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 12:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Solid Axle Question -- Which sprigns?

This would depend on what you want and what type of springs... If you plan to run coil springs, strait rate springs from a fullsize f-150 will give you a stiff ride and hold up easily to abuse power... Bronco progresive springs will allow you to have killer articulation, and stock strait rate bronco springs give a happy medium of both... Most people use the stock jeep springs for the leaf spring set up for a happy medium...

Bad-Bowtie,
M.Hall
Senior Assistant Webmaster @ S10-4x4.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 10:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was told by one guy that does the conversion to use aftermarket fullsize Chevy 1/2 ton springs from 73-87.. Superlift Softride.. The 2" will be enough for 33's and the 4" will fit 35's..
I am baising my swap from this informaiton.. I have a 2" body so I am going with the 2" springs and run 35's on Dana-44's front and rear spring over..
I was also told to goto a yard and find an S-10 and cut the rear frame off from the front of the spring hangers back.. Use that as your subframe.. Weld in a cross bar to the correct width and your set..
Be sure to document and photograph every step for us..[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

-Troy '<font color=red>WeaZle</font color=red>' McCarty

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 12:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

That is a very good idea. How long are the Chevy springs? I was thinking of using some CJ 4" lift springs with a leaf removed and go spring under. But I really like the idea of the Chevy springs....the only consideration, like I said, is length...i dont want the springs sticking out so far in the front that I have a crappy approach angle. Thanks again for the info.

fullreversal
Mud, Snow, Rain??
All-Terrain!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 02:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Not sure.. I think 52" but dont quote me.. Call Superlift and ask.. Im still doing my research on the front D-44.. Think I found it but will need to redrill for lug pattern..

-Troy '<font color=red>WeaZle</font color=red>' McCarty

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 09:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

back to the top

fullreversal
Mud, Snow, Rain??
All-Terrain!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 10:30 PM
Addict

One other option is to get the springs from Stagewest or cut them out completely and get them from the place they buy them from or should I say get them made at. I have it written down somewhere but you probably know that already is as much that has been posted about them. You could just do you own completely like they did too. Personally if it was me, I would do what Mark hall did on his. It is lighter and all the bugs are already worked out for you. He will give you all the info on peice by piece on what he has done and save you all the headaches. I still have my 89 GMC ext cab for sale, but if things go good for me like it should money wise next year, and I get my new ZR2 pickup and can keep that 89 too, well extended cab BOW-TIE will be born, Stroker and all. The 9" & 44 is almost bulletproof and the wheel selection alot better too. They don't make those superwheels for chevy bolt patterns either.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode