Starter removal on 2.8L - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2000, 11:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Starter removal on 2.8L

Okay. I know when to ask for help when I need it. So, anybody know the esaiest way to get the starter off of an 85 S-10 4x4 with the 2.8 4x4? It looks to me like a 4.3 high torque mini would fit also. Is this true? Man, why did GM mount the coil on a bracket on the exh. manifold? I believe the solenoid was shorting out, seeing how it would keep cranking over after you removed the key from ignition until you unhooked the - batt. cable. When I get it off, I'll take it over to the parts store to test it for sure. I am anxious to get this BEAST up and running as there is plenty of mud around now! Thanks in advance!
A.S.
1989 S10 4x4 4.3
1985 S10 4x4 2.8/5spd-3" 31's soon to be Mud Bog Qualified
1989 SBlazer 4x4 4.3 31"BFGA/T KOs

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2000, 02:11 PM

Re: Starter removal on 2.8L

There's a crossmember that gets in the way of getting the starter out. I've found that I have to pull mine off when I have to get to my starter [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] It sucks, it's a pain and it typically requires a BFH to tap that x-member in and out of place. On the plus side the BFH is a great way to relieve stress, however don't go overboard. That should give you just about enough clearance to fight for a little longer with the starter before realizing the wires probably aren't long enough to drop the starter down to where you can work on it, and that's about the point where you crawl from under the truck, stand up and reach down under the exhaust manifold with a wrench and unhook the wires, noting where they go... Installation is also a pain and is the reverse of removal...

Do you have all your emissions crap hooked up on that 2.8L? some wise guy decided to take between 1/4 and 1/2 of mine off and then leave it alone, vac lines unhooked, I'm still chasing a small vacuum leak around, just a mess so I had to remove mine. I took that stupid deceleration valve off of the thing that the coil mounted to save space.

I'm not sure whether you'd be able to fit a high torque ministarter on there or not, however I seriously doubt you'd need one, the stock replacement works fine for mine... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Even with some thicker than normal oil and in cold weather it works fine for me. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Be careful when you go to the parts store to get a starter, there are 2 possible choices, short nose or long nose (I think that's how they're different). Just compare it very carefully to the one you have and it should be fine...

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist
My November article on ORC

http://www.off-road.com/land
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2000, 06:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Starter removal on 2.8L

Thanks, Tim. I've got the wires off, but getting the starter out was giving me fits! This crossmember is the one with the brake lines running thru the middle of it? I went ahead and unhooked all the airpump B.S. and will try to put the bracket back onto the exh. manifold(before it just hung above it). Are there any vaccum lines running to the dist.? I am going to totally revamp all the lines on the carb&intake, as most are in the wrong places. I wonder if I can get a shorter belt to do away with the airpump completely? Thanks for the info on the 2 types of starter, although I'll probably get a used tested one, in case the engine blows soon after. It looks like the starter has been dragging on the flywheel for a while now. Well, I'll keep you updated on the situation.
A.S.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode