Wiring Trailer Lights - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2000, 07:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Wiring Trailer Lights

Has anyone connected a standard four pin plug to a 97 Blazer? There is a factory pigtail from the wiring harness at the rear of the truck that your supposed to hook a trailer light plug to. I've gotten the turn signals and brake lights to work when the running lights are not on. However, when I turn on the running lights, the turn signals work but pressing the break pedal causes all the lights to go off. The voltmeter shows a negative charge under this condition - Why?

Help please,

butch

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2000, 12:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Wiring Trailer Lights

Do you have the wires hooked up properly?

Green - Right turn signal
Yellow - Left turn signal
Brown - Brake lights
White - Frame ground

A test light might be better for hooking up trailer lights than a VOM - it takes out the guesswork about polarities and negative voltages and stuff like that - it's either on or off. Hook the wire on the test light up to a good frame ground. I would then disconnect the pigtail that you probably have wired in already and probe the wires with a test light until you find out which wire is which - turn on one turn signal... probe until the light flashes... then connect it to the proper wire on the pigtail as I listed above. Repeat with the other turn signal... then the brakes, etc.

<font color=red>TOO MUCH POWER</font color=red> isn't enough.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2000, 04:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for for the reply. I wired the lights up just like you stated. However, when I put on the brakes with the running lights on, poof, no lights.

I'm afraid that I'm going have to suckup my pride a take it to an electrical shop.

butch

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2000, 10:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sounds like a bad ground to me. Check all the grounds and make sure the are good and tight and also that they are on bare metal, even remove some paint where it is attached to get a good connection. Did you try hooking it up to another trailer? this would eleminate any problems with your truck.
Good Luck with it

Nick
[email protected]
83' s10 extended cab 4x4 supercharged 2.8l v6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode