Performance Mods for a 4.3 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2000, 01:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Performance Mods for a 4.3

Well guys I think the blazer is ready for a little more get up and go. Looks like my christmas break from school is gonna be devoted to the truck, so my question is what mods are gonna give me the most horsepower for my money? I plan on a K&N filtercharger, and I already have a custom exhaust, what else can i do to make this thing fast? I mean i know it is an SUV, and wont run like a camaro or somethin, but it would be nice to be able to surprise some people at the red lights ya know [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Also has anyone done mods and then gons to the dyno? What did you find out?
Oh yeah so you dont have to look at my profile, Is a 2000 Blazer.

Ryan

-I shoulda been a cowboy-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2000, 02:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Performance Mods for a 4.3

Make your own tube for the cone K&N filter..$ave $ome money there.. Headers are probably one of the best mods I have done yet for performance.. Go with the JBA's.. Coming from one who has the Edelbrocks.. You already did the exhaust, good.. Next would be if you changed tire size from stock is to regear.. If that isnt enough then a 383 stroker or a supercharger is your only alternative..[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

-Troy '<font color=red>WeaZle</font color=red>' McCarty

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2000, 03:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Don't be to sure you wont run with a camaro (6 cyl). I don't know how much slower a blazer is than a 94 ext. cab short bed 4wd 4.3, but I consistantly trounce my buddy's 94 6cyl mustang at the drag strip. Both are stock except for K&N air filters on both vehicles.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2000, 03:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What kind of place would be able to install headers for me? I've never done any engine mods on a vehicle before.

Ryan

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2000, 03:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

That's a good question. Probably any performance shop. There are a couple here in Erie, PA but they are not chains so I don't know where else.
Just to let you know, as far as I know, there is only one company that makes headers for our trucks with the 4.3 and that's JBA.
Next....nevermind, I had a really long post from a while ago that I printed out for part reference but...well.....you are the one who wrote it. So I guess you already know what I was going to say.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2000, 01:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you're looking for V-8 power, you cna get a Powerdyne supercharger fo around $2500-$3000. You could run with Z-28s then. I can run with the 4.6L Mustangs with my truck now with just simple mods(K&N, TBI spacer,180stat, catless 2.5" exhaust, elec. fan, pulleys, Chambered muffler, stock 3.42 gears and 235s. I still get 20MPG.I also have a Trans Pak in my 700R-4 that vastly improved performance. I think B&M sells an electronic Shift Improver for your vehicle that has performance/normal/towing modes. These work wonders for a late model automatic! Just my $.02
A.S.
1989 S-10 4x4 4.3 2" lift 235s
1989 SBlazer 4x4 4.3 31"BFGA/TKOs
1985 S10 4x4 2.8 3" lift 31" Sport Kings

post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2000, 02:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well on my 94 S-10 i didn't spend much. it started as a 4.3 HO so it was pretty good to start. I put a K&N filter it was cycledrical filter also. And i did make that myself out of parts. I also bought one of those spiralmax's it wasn't enough so i made about 4 more and that made a big difference. And i was gonna buy a chip but i haven't got around to it yet so i just run 94 octane in the truck. I read the owners manual and it says to run 89 or higher for hill pulling or trailer towing it makes a real big differnce. O and i'm running 3.42 and 31's on it and it will smoke them on a good day no power breaking or anything lol. Only some suggestions.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2000, 01:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

try a chip in it , I've seen some good results in power increases even in totally stock rigs

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2000, 05:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hi Ryan, I would first start with reprograming your computer Hypertech makes a good programer. Since you have already done your exhaust i would then move to the intake and install a throttle body spacer helps atomize fuel -better throttle response K&N filter is a very good idea - underdrive pulleys- the best person to get ahold of on this subjuet is tom (diver) if im not mistaken he has just about every performance mod going i'll send you a private with his e-mail address-craig

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2000, 05:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Craig, no need, i have his email he and i correspond every once in a while as it is. I know he has tons done, just seein if there was anything else.
Thanks all.

Ryan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode