84 s-10 Blazer 4x4 conversion to 5.7 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2000, 01:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

84 s-10 Blazer 4x4 conversion to 5.7

My first post here; I recently purchased an 84 s-10 Blazer 4x4 2.8 5speed as a winter car to keep the miles and bad Chicago climate off my Hot Rods. This is my first Blazer and I am now considering making it into a “poor mans Typhoon” via 5.7 conversion. This does not seem too difficult considering there is no Computer, or A.C., Anti lock brakes to get in the way.
What are any good sources to research this project (Books, Websites, clubs etc.)? Will a 350 bolt up to the 5speed? Is there any Donor cars or Engines I should focus on this Swap. And in Illinois, does anyone have some info of the smog requirements for this combo. The ultimate goal is a budget 350 that is reliable and quicker than a stock 5.0 Mustang. Any input or information is greatly appreciated.

Also, the heater blower motor seems to blow kind of slow. It seems easy enough to get to, has anyone put an oversized or heavy duty blower motor for the heater in a truck like this? I need to keep this truck warm because it is for a Midwest winter. Thanks All!

rexxshelby
84 s10 Blazer 4X4 2.8 5 Speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2000, 01:59 PM

Re: 84 s-10 Blazer 4x4 conversion to 5.7

You will need a different 5 speed transmission. Even if the stock 5 speed would bolt up to the 350, it'd be dead in a few hours most likely anyway... You want either an NV3500 or NV4500 (with the 4500 being the bulletproof choice). Donor cars, that depends on which 5.7L you want. You can use anything from the 60's to the present new trucks (Vortec would be pretty cool), carbuerator to multiport fuel injection... That part is up to you and that's where you need to pick what donor you'd like. I believe in most places you will need to swap in the same year or newer engine than your truck, plus you need to have the emissions crap hooked up exactly like it was in the donor truck (if I remember correctly that's a federal law)...

And then we haven't addressed the need for a different transfer case with that different transmission you'd need to swap in. Plus at the very least the front differential would probably go boom pretty quickly from a V8's torque due to the 7.2" ring gear. However, since you want it like a typhoon you probably don't want to swap a solid front axle, and a custom suspension and front diff is out of the question since it's a "poor man's" conversion [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Even the rear axle's 7.5" ring gear is only marginal at best with a V8 if I'm thinking correctly...

The stock blower motor works great in my S/T15 pickup, although it's a slightly smaller space than your blazer... It gets so hot in that little truck though that I can hardly stand to be in there with the heater on in the middle of a Michigan winter... If you have a pal or someone that at least won't get irritated with you at a parts store, you could take your blower motor out, and compare it with ones from full size trucks (jeep guys swap in fullsize blazer blower motors, but not sure if it would work in one of ours. Check all of your connections and your ground first, however, to be sure that it's actually able to get the power it needs to operate properly...

Just my $0.02

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist
My August article on ORC

http://www.off-road.com/land
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2000, 02:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 84 s-10 Blazer 4x4 conversion to 5.7

Try:

http://www.jagsthatrun.com
and
http://www.advanceadapters.com

The 7.5" rear end isn't that strong, so you have to be a bit conservative with power and tire size. JTR has a book that give you all the info you need to do the swap. No, your tranny will not bolt up since the 2.8 is a 60 degree block.

Hit? Them tires rub. Rubbin's off roadin.
My web page
http://www.bernie.4t.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode