3.4l heads on a 2.8l - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2000, 06:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

3.4l heads on a 2.8l

I usually new to this board. I usually post on the Mid sized jeep board, but since I have the wonderful [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] chevy 2.8 I have been looking more and more at this board. I have an '86 Jeep Cherokee with the 60` 2.8 chevy engine. So now on to my question.....
I am wondering if I can put heads off of a 3.4 on my 2.8 to get a little more horeses out of it. I have had the engine for about a year now and I am regretting putting it in. I am looking at, after I put some miles on my new engine, getting a 3.4l engine or doing a full 350 chevy conversion. What do you think about the heads???

Ben [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2000, 03:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 3.4l heads on a 2.8l

Do you have access to 3.4 heads ? I'm in the middle of a 2.8 to 3.4 swap and am finding it ok with my limited skills. you could try a tbi spacer or even grind the intake manifold out to fit a 4.3 tbi. if you do a head swap i guess you should check clearance with the pistons. I haven't taken the heads off the 3.4 to look at them.

jeff
86 4x4 2.8/3.4 jimmy
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2000, 04:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a few places that have the heads. I just haven't priced them yet. The only reason that I am looking at this is I just replaced my 2.8. At the time I didn't know about the options available. I spent about $1200 On that 2.8 [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]. The only reason that I am looking into the 3.4 head is I think that I am going to swap one in, after I get some of my moneys worth out of the 2.8. Then I can just get a short block 3.4. Another reason that I am looking into it is I would like to have fuel injection. When Jeep used the 2.8 in '86 they still put on the varijet. With the little research I have done it looks like the heads are the same. (I am having a hard time finding information on the 2.8 and the 3.4) They just have larger valves in them. The carburated 2.8 having the smallest, fuel injected 2.8 a little larger, and the 3.4 the largest. I am looking to get the most horsepower without buying things that are 2.8 specific. Do you know where I can get the information that I need. Thanx for any help you can give me......

Ben [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2000, 12:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

do't regret putting the 2.8 in you jeep. It can be a awosome engine if you do it right.... I just replaced mine after 530,000 miles on the old one.. I built the new one two or three months ago.. eldebrock makes some thing to beef if up.... i started with a new block replaced every thing... put a torker II 4 bl intake proformer cam and a 3.1
crank and port polished the headsand put a eldebrock 600cfm carb to top it off.. people laugh when they see cause the carb is as wide as the engine.. but it made a big diference. we put it on my friends dyno tester and it gained 110 horse power over factory spects.

85 chevy s10 4x4
2.8l v6 4bl
538,862 miles and counting
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17-257319-engine2.jpg (30.7 KB, 7 views)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2000, 04:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Go to the S-Series.com Discussion Boards: http://www.s-series.org/cgi-bin/ubb/Ultimate.cgi

Click on the 2.8, 3.1, 3.4 topic and then check out a thread titled "Piston Comparison". I think it will answer all your questions and then some.

There are some very well-informed 60 Deg V6 Dudes at that site. HTH............ed

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode