Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   GM Small Trucks & SUV's (https://forums.off-road.com/gm-small-trucks-suvs/)
-   -   3.4l heads on a 2.8l (https://forums.off-road.com/gm-small-trucks-suvs/44990-3-4l-heads-2-8l.html)

**DONOTDELETE** 11-07-2000 06:39 AM

3.4l heads on a 2.8l

I usually new to this board. I usually post on the Mid sized jeep board, but since I have the wonderful [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] chevy 2.8 I have been looking more and more at this board. I have an '86 Jeep Cherokee with the 60` 2.8 chevy engine. So now on to my question.....
I am wondering if I can put heads off of a 3.4 on my 2.8 to get a little more horeses out of it. I have had the engine for about a year now and I am regretting putting it in. I am looking at, after I put some miles on my new engine, getting a 3.4l engine or doing a full 350 chevy conversion. What do you think about the heads???

Ben [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

**DONOTDELETE** 11-08-2000 03:14 AM

Re: 3.4l heads on a 2.8l

Do you have access to 3.4 heads ? I'm in the middle of a 2.8 to 3.4 swap and am finding it ok with my limited skills. you could try a tbi spacer or even grind the intake manifold out to fit a 4.3 tbi. if you do a head swap i guess you should check clearance with the pistons. I haven't taken the heads off the 3.4 to look at them.

jeff
86 4x4 2.8/3.4 jimmy

**DONOTDELETE** 11-08-2000 04:58 AM

I have a few places that have the heads. I just haven't priced them yet. The only reason that I am looking at this is I just replaced my 2.8. At the time I didn't know about the options available. I spent about $1200 On that 2.8 [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]. The only reason that I am looking into the 3.4 head is I think that I am going to swap one in, after I get some of my moneys worth out of the 2.8. Then I can just get a short block 3.4. Another reason that I am looking into it is I would like to have fuel injection. When Jeep used the 2.8 in '86 they still put on the varijet. With the little research I have done it looks like the heads are the same. (I am having a hard time finding information on the 2.8 and the 3.4) They just have larger valves in them. The carburated 2.8 having the smallest, fuel injected 2.8 a little larger, and the 3.4 the largest. I am looking to get the most horsepower without buying things that are 2.8 specific. Do you know where I can get the information that I need. Thanx for any help you can give me......

Ben [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

**DONOTDELETE** 11-08-2000 12:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
do't regret putting the 2.8 in you jeep. It can be a awosome engine if you do it right.... I just replaced mine after 530,000 miles on the old one.. I built the new one two or three months ago.. eldebrock makes some thing to beef if up.... i started with a new block replaced every thing... put a torker II 4 bl intake proformer cam and a 3.1
crank and port polished the headsand put a eldebrock 600cfm carb to top it off.. people laugh when they see cause the carb is as wide as the engine.. but it made a big diference. we put it on my friends dyno tester and it gained 110 horse power over factory spects.

85 chevy s10 4x4
2.8l v6 4bl
538,862 miles and counting

**DONOTDELETE** 11-08-2000 04:27 PM

Go to the S-Series.com Discussion Boards: http://www.s-series.org/cgi-bin/ubb/Ultimate.cgi

Click on the 2.8, 3.1, 3.4 topic and then check out a thread titled "Piston Comparison". I think it will answer all your questions and then some.

There are some very well-informed 60 Deg V6 Dudes at that site. HTH............ed