confused about torsion bars - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2000, 11:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

confused about torsion bars

I have some questions about torsion bar crank ups.
Can I only do it to the front? Can the back be crank up?
Do add-a-leafs only go in the back? Are shackles and addaleafs the same thing?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2000, 11:32 AM

Re: confused about torsion bars

Torsion bars only deal with the front, add a leafs and shackle lifts are not the same, an add-a-leaf is exactly what it sounds like, you would add a leaf spring to your spring pack to gain height, and a shackle lift is acheived by replacing your stock shackles with longer ones. Don't know if I missed anything or if your still confused maybe someone else can explain it better.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2000, 11:40 AM

Torsion bars are up front only (don't go too far on them, and be sure that you adjust both the exact same amount.) DO NOT remove those bolts for any reason without the proper compressor, those are under a lot of tension and can cause severe injury... Independant suspension uses torsion bars. The front of these trucks are independant suspension and the rear has a solid axle. You will be able to look at the front and rear and probably immediately recognize the differences... Since the back has no torsion bars, the rear can't be raised by them.

Add a leaves and shackles are not the same things. Add a leaves are an additional leaf (layer) that go under your leaf spring pack (Add a leaves work only in back). Shackles are what connects the back of the springs (the eye at the back of the springs) to the frame of the truck.

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist
My August article on ORC

http://www.off-road.com/land
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2000, 09:23 AM

Why don't we just get more into it so it's all clear. And I'm bored so here we go...

On 4x4 trucks only, you have torsion bars in the front to provide lift and spring rate suspension. The bars twist according to the amount of load put on them (of off if you lift on a bump or something). They are under considerable pressure and can be adjusted up or down to create height and also tension/spring rate increases/decreases.

When you get a "normal" commercially available lift kit, you'll be getting a bracket that actually LOWERS your front differential to keep the axle stubs and Constant-Velocity (CV) joints in line. The torsion bars are then cranked up to get more lift out of it.

4x2 trucks DO NOT have torsions; they have coil springs only.

On the rear, a shackle connects the spring to the frame, and provides for extra spring flex. You can get longer-than-stock shackles to lift the truck a bit. An Add-A-Leaf spring is just an additional spring pack (individual or group of spring leaves) that provide extra lift and a stiffer ride. The AAleaves tend to be an extra overload spring and make for a stiff ride you may not want unless you are towing frequently.

For lift options in the rear. You can go with the add-a-leaf (cheap but I never recommend them), shackles (the lesser of two evils), blocks (NEVER!), or you can order some longer springs which will lift your truck the "right way". I highly recommend you check out National Spring in El Cajon or Deaver Spring in Anaheim, I think... Deaver being the better recommended. They can set you up with springs to your specifications -- lift, amount of weight you plan on carrying, stuff like that... and for $400-500, you just can't lose!

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

http://members.xoom.com/desertride/index.htm
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2000, 03:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

<font color=blue>As far a shackels go I use them on my s10. They will flatten out your leaf springs after a wile and they doin't ride too good on the road. Now off the road I love them. They allow for more flex (it will yet the leaf drop down more). I am not to big on add a leaf inless you do a lot of towing. It will help the rear of the truck say level under a load. NEVER use a block. They are cheep and junk!! When you crank up the T-bars you need to get a alinement. They will bring the front of the truck up some but it will make the truck ride real stiff on the road.
Diesel22</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>Jeff Henderson
Asst Webmaster @ s10-4x4.com
The best s10 websight is www.s10-4x4.com
My home www.geocities.com/diesel22_us
www.off-road.com/chevy/tech/snorkel/</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 05:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Not all 4x4 trucks use t-bars. Only on GM. But dodge and ford use coils on the front with live axles. When you crank up the t-bars, the wheels will bow in. The way we solved it is to buy 1" wheel spacers for the front and 1 1/2" for the back. The wheel spacers will put the wheel out further and will not cause the front wheels to bow in. So we cranked them all the way on the drivers side and evened it out with the passenger side, not as far. But level. We got about 2 1/2" out of the front. And then we added bigger shackles in the back, and the other day we added a extra leaf that we got from summit for $26.99, and it put the rear end up another 2 1/4" aloung with the shackles. If you want to see my truck go readers rides and it's Mike O'Reilly's '94 S-10. It's black and silver. All together these put the truck up to about 3" higher than a stock 4x4 S-10, and didn't take a lot of money. The pic on readers rides is from this summer and isn't with the bigger tires and the extra leaf. I'll get on up soon.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 05:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Huh??....... What about Dodge Dakotas?, and all fords, (excluding the super duty's)? They both use torsion bars up front. While I am at it, how do wheel spacers keep your wheels from \ / or / \ ?.... Its called getting an alignment, thats what fixes the front from bowing in or out.

Matt

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 07:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree with what Matt91 said(but to get real technical superduty fords use leaf springs in front) Also diffenently get it aligned, your gonna wear those CV's out fast enough having it cranked that high.
Later

Nick
[email protected]
83' s10 extended cab 4x4 supercharged 2.8l v6
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 09:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

That was my brother on my name and he had no clue what he was doing. You guys were all right about that stuff i did have it aligned and the wheel spacers were just to make room for the bigger tires to clear. But yeah all that was basically wrong. You guys were right.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 11:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would check local lift laws before you do anything, in my state Shackle lifts are illegal

89 K1500 Skyjacker 2.5" 33" SSR's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode