I bought another one! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-02-2000, 07:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I bought another one!

Hey, all! I just bought the '85 S10 I mentioned previously. Its a 2.8/5 speed, tilt,cruise, air, 4x4 works great, 3" body lift, 31" Sport Kings on fac. aluminum wheels, cap, etc. The body and drivetrain are excellent, but the engine has a little knock at about 3000 RPM on up, towards the front of the engine. Best thing is its red just like my '89. I'll try to get some pics. BTW will these small rearends support a small block, or should I swap to an 88up 7.625" one? I believe it has 3.73s but not sure. Thanks guys!
A.S.
1989 S10 4x4 4.3 2" sus 235s
1989 S Blazer 4x4 4.3 2" sus 31x10.50 BFG A/Tkos
1985 S10 4x4 2.8 3" body lift 31x10.50 Sport Kings

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-02-2000, 09:22 AM

Re: I bought another one!

On that 2.8L even though your truck is a 4x4, I would probably recommend using a filter from the same year 2wd truck. From the 2wd truck you get a bigger filter. It still fits (on mine at least) with zero clearance problems. Getting it down there is the only harder part, but it's not that bad [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Here's a pic:

I would say you're better off to search the scrap yards locally in search of a Dana 44 out of a Jeep MJ truck. These are somewhat rare. If you get that, the spring pads should be about right as well as about the right width... I'd trust that a lot more than either of the "mini" 10 bolt rears... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist
My August article on ORC

http://www.off-road.com/land
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-02-2000, 10:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the info, Tim. So the 2.8 4x4s don't use a remote filter like the 4.3s? I haven't even looked real close at it. Probably will start trying to find where the knock is coming from, replace starter(dragging), etc. Its such a nice complete truck I couldn't let it get away! I like the idea of a 3.4 multi port and SFA conversion on down the road, but for now everything works great. Its nice to have someone with the same truck to communicate with.
A.S.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-03-2000, 07:53 AM

Here are two links to a couple of pictures of the oil filter on mine, these pictures are with the filter the book recommends for a 2wd 2.8L S truck… The only real benefit I can see from using the bigger filter though is holding a little more oil and being able to filter longer before plugging up and resorting to the bypass in the filter… The way I get in there to get the filter off and on is a cup style wrench that goes on a ratchet, with a short extension.
http://bbs.off-road.com/wwwthreads_u...oilfilter1.jpg
http://bbs.off-road.com/wwwthreads_u...oilfilter2.jpg

I agree the bigger engine would be cool, but some work… I think after reading that discussion of the 3.8L V6 and how it could be made to work that it’s the one I’d go with… [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist
My August article on ORC

http://www.off-road.com/land
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2000, 10:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the info. I'm still undecided on a future engine. I could swear that GM put a 3.4L OHC V-6 in Lumina Z-34 coupes and the first Monte Carlo LSs. I remember working on one and it had aluminum Hemi type heads, it was a 95 Monte Carlo. If so, that'd be a wonderful swap candidate. In the meantime, I'll search for a 95-97 wrecked F-body with a 3800. The 96 FWD 3800 is actually rated at 205HP! Did GM ever offer the NV3500 behind a 2.8 in an S10 4x4? Or, I wonder what 5 speed they use behind the 3800 in the Camaro/Firebird? I'm just not a fan of the T-5, especially the way I drive! The NVG manuals are a much better transmission, more truck oriented. BTW on a FWD car with the 3800, you have to remove the front motor mount to change the serp. belt. Took a GM mechanic 2 hours! What a crappy design! Love the old 84-89 3.8L SEFI!
If the exhaust wouldn't be such a pain, and the drivetrain would handle it, I can get a 3.8 turbo from a Regal. I don't know, I've gotta decide what I plan to do with it first. Maybe I can find some HP in the old 2.8! Wonder if any one makes an alum. intake? cam? bigger carb?
A.S.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode