Pontiac 6000 driveability problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-02-2000, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

Pontiac 6000 driveability problems

Hi
One day the wife went to the gas station to fill up. The next morning the car would stall as if it were starving for fuel. I checked the choke and used all sorts of gasline additives to remove moisture but it wasn't a moisture problem.

engine is 2.8 litre, V6, Auto

The vaccum is 19 inches, all diaphrams are not leaking.
Removed carb, cleaned and replaced lower carb heater gasket because it had a hole blown at one corner. Cleaned EGR. Put all back together and the same problem exists. Driveability problem when choke comes off and before engine is up to operating temp.

Can this be caused by the carb heater gasket not getting power at a cold start?????
I neglected to test for proper operation of this part of the circuit.

Thanks
Doug

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] My Jeep's an ATV I can drive on the highway [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] but it likes the dirt. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-02-2000, 09:11 AM

Re: Pontiac 6000 driveability problems

Sounds like a batch of bad gas... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Or maybe the idle mixture needs adjusting. Or perhaps your fuel pump is going out... You can check the fuel pump pretty easily... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

My little S-15 truck has the 2.8L and carbuerator, but I took that EFE grid (early fuel evaporation) totally out of my truck and replaced it with a regular gasket, and haven't had any drivability problems yet and it's getting down to around the 30 level around here at night... This does, however, mean I can't just hammer the throttle off the line when the engine is cold. Nice gentle acceleration when cold is what it likes, and then once it warms up firewall the pedal as much as you want... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

But my 3 guesses are fuel pump, idle mixture, or bad gas...

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist
My August article on ORC

http://www.off-road.com/land
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-02-2000, 10:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

So, Sandman. Have you ever rebuilt the carburetor on yours? I just wondered if they were as much of a pain as a Quadrajet to get tuned right. Mine runs okay right now, although I think someone removed the EFE grid on this one too, as it stumbles when cold, but choke works, and it doesen't leak. I can't wait to put some miles on it!
A.S.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-02-2000, 10:37 PM

I would also check the air cleaner flapper that should open to the exhaust manifold stove pipe/hose when the engine is cold. Your trouble could be the engine is drawing cold air just after start up when it needs the warmed air from around the mainfold. I had trouble like what you described with the 2.8L in my 1986 Jeep Cherokee; it turned out to be the hose to the stove was broken off. Replaced the hose, clamped it tight, no more trouble. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-03-2000, 08:01 AM

I haven't rebuilt one of these carbs (Rochester Varajet II), but what I did instead was got a rebuilt Rochester Varajet II. The one I got was rebuilt by Holley... Works great right out of the box, just toss it on, bolt it down and hook up the fuel line and it should be adjusted exactly how you need it. If it's not, then you're still in luck, Holley includes a guide to how to adjust it and in what order to adjust things, as well as a 56 or so page book on how to troubleshoot the problems on not just the carb but engine also... Not sure how good any of the other rebuilds are, but I can speak for that one... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

I can scan that paper showing how to adjust it and where the adjustments are if you'd like it...

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist
My August article on ORC

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-03-2000, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

All the flaps and vaccum motor work properly. Saturday morning I will be checking the 12 volt power circuit for the headed gasket.

Thanks all

Doug

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] My Jeep's an ATV I can drive on the highway [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] but it likes the dirt. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2000, 05:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sandman, would you mind scanning the adjusting instuctions for me. I have an '86 Jeep Cherokee with a 2.8 and I need to adjust my varijet badly!!! It would really help me. My e-mail address is [email protected] Thanx,

Ben [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2000, 02:00 PM

I'll get that info for you as soon as I can... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist
My August article on ORC

post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2000, 08:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanx Sandman....

Ben [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode