High Idle - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2000, 09:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

High Idle

Hey Guys,

Well it has been a long time since I have been here, I even had to go and get a new pass word. Well my question is, my 88 Blazer seems to be a pig on gas and this is really bad, since that the price of gas is out of this world, Now it seems to me that after I get to work and I'm about to shut the old girl off for the day I'm at a high Idle I think that my choke is not shutting off, is there any way to shut it off ( is it run off of vacume?) or any ideas for any other symptomns

I`d rather push a Chev than drive a Ford
Hachey, 88 Blazer 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2000, 06:41 AM

Re: High Idle

You should have a TBI setup, and the coolant temp sensor is the item that tells the ECM when to deliver more fuel (choke mode), if it goes out, or out of range, it may not set a code but it will make you idle fast and use more fuel all of the time. Talk to you later.
David G.

'91 S15 Jimmy 5.7L 4X4
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2000, 08:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Where is the coolant tempature sensor located under the hood? And when I do find it is there any way to test the sensor to see if it's faulty?

Hachey, 88 Blazer 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-02-2000, 08:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I believe its screwed into the intake manifold near the thermostat housing. The way you test it is with an ohmmeter and as the temp changes, so should the resistance. If I remember theres a chart in the Chiltons manual, if you want me to, I can scan it for you.
A.S.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-02-2000, 10:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

That would be cool if you can scan it for me, Oh yeah is it the chilton's manual with the red 4 door Blazer on the cover a buddy of mine owns that manual but he never has it, I should go out and buy one, so if you want to, scan away. Does this chart tell me how to test it, because I do have a ohmmeter?

Hachey, 88 Blazer 4x4
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-02-2000, 10:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes. If I remember correctly, it tells exactly how to hook it up and a scale of ohms to degrees Farenheight/Celcius. I'll try to get it and post it tomorrow. I invested in a Haynes(pretty worthless) and Chiltons manuals and am getting some Mitchell(the best). There an asset when you have more than one of these! I'd love to get the Mitchell On-Demand CD-ROM set, but I'm not made of money.
A.S.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-03-2000, 08:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Actully, Hatchey, check the Flapper door on the air box. Check the heat stove tube and the Thermac air sensor.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2000, 01:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am e-mailing you the procedure to test the sensor.
A.S.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2000, 01:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

where is this located by the way? Is it the flap that operates off of vacume on the air breather on the (arm looking part ) because when I pull the vacume line off of it it here the flap moving inside but I'm not too sure how it's suppose to work. And what is a thermatic air sensor and heat stove tube.

Hachey, 88 Blazer 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode