Best Ignition for 4.3? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2000, 11:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Best Ignition for 4.3?

I am looking to purchase a new ignition system for my 4.3....what do you suggest I use? I have heard some stuff about jacobs, and MSD, but I wanted to get other opinions.

fullreversal
Mud, Snow, Rain??
All-Terrain!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2000, 11:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Best Ignition for 4.3?

even after a year Im still on the fence about Jacobs Mileage master, wires, and coil.. Wires and coil work great.. The MM on the otherhand, yes it does give a seat of the pants kick.. When you stomp there is defanitely a difference.. Gas mileage went down in normal driving but did increase on highway by 15% on runs to Vegas.. I have had it for a year and am still not sure.. Have had other problems that have efected mileage as well.. You know installing 33's really kills gas mileage..[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I will conduct another test here some day.. I say go with headers, exhaust and a K&N first.. Mush more power there for the same money..

-Troy [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]'<font color=red>WeaZle</font color=red>'[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] McCarty
http://www.tbrs.com/zrschmoo/
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2000, 01:29 PM

Over on the SWB Jeep bbs here, there's a guy called TeamRush. He does racing engines and claims to have a 55gallon drum about full of jacob's ignition products people tossed in there after seeing tests ran on MSD and seeing it in their vehicle. MSD is the one I'm getting when I get the $$$. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Just some interesting stuff to ponder...

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist
My August article on ORC

http://www.off-road.com/land
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2000, 06:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I currently have had the Jacobs Mileage Master Coil, MM and wire set on my 95 4.3L 4dr auto. Blazer 4 dr. First thing is that when the system does work it works fine. Can't promise you the mileage that they guarantee though. My city driving (Washington D.C. Metro Area) is 15 to 16. My highway is great around 21 but if you look at the sticker for the mileage that is what the vehicle is supposed to get anyway. I have the 3.73 ratio rear axle and run the 235/75 R15 tires but as you probably know those aren't really considered "big" tires anyway. Jacobs people do not know what they are doing. Or I should qualify it and say that if your lucky to get the 1 guy in the place that knows what he is doing then you will get the proper parts. One thins is for sure, the wires go bad about every 2 years. In fact I stopped using their wires and am currently running Excel 8.0mm high heat wires with no problems. I don't have information on the MSD ignition but my readings and gut feelings say that it is better. For example the Jacobs ignition tells you that when you run their complete system you need to gap your plugs to .20 over factory spec. that puts it at .65 for mine. Most mechanics won't do that because 1) the spark plug has to start bending backwards to get that far out 2) there is a fear that a gap that big would start hitting the spark plug with the cylinder head. In any case I have run it with plugs gapped at .45 and .55 ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERNCE in performance or mileage EXCEPT at .45 the engine idles so smooth that you can't even tell that it is on.
In Jacobs defense it does light up quicker. Can't say that the MSD doesn't do that already. It would seem to me that MSD has their stuff together better than Jacobs.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2000, 02:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

MSD's are the funk. Go get one, preferably the 6al. You'd be blown away by all the addition goodies that are available for this setup.In fact you could buy MSD's Billet Distributor for the 4.3,a timing computer, a crank trigger, and tons more cool stuff. Jacobs is probably pretty swell also. Let us know what you pick . 614streets
Oh Msd has a nice wiring harness that requires no cutting, took me like 5 second to hook up, came with lots of extra wiring connectors too. Also the MSD blaster coil for GM (dual pin) is a 5 min bolt on.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2000, 01:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

That is if you don't lose the hook up instrustions. Ahum, I don't know anybody that would do that. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

IMO, the MSD is the best system out there.

Hit? Them tires rub. Rubbin's off roadin.
My web page
http://www.personal.psu.edu/bjh182
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode