91 4.3 hard starting problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2000, 06:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

91 4.3 hard starting problem

I just got my 4.3 together and am having trouble starting it when it is cold.The engine is new,the computer is new.When the truck is warm it starts fine.

1991 blazer 4 dr 4.3 headers,flowmaster,k&n,31x10.5x15 bfg allterrains
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2000, 11:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 91 4.3 hard starting problem

How cold are we talking starting here? Depending on just how cold, 91's have a block heater, which you may want to give a try. Check out the manual if you still got it, (If not I'd be happy to copy the page for you and send it to ya), and it will tell you where and how to find and use the block heater. I know not all of them come with one, my friends didnt, but he got it installed for when we went to Aspen, it worked pretty well. As I recall it was fairly inexpensive, and may be worth giving a try.

-Steve

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2000, 02:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Canada guy when you redid the motor did you scrap any emmissions stuff such as the heat stove,Thermac sensor,aircleaner housing,Charchol canister,choke valve,etc? These items are things that when taken off in search of better looks or power,decrease the efficiency of the engine when it cold out. If you didnt remove them, check to see that the #1 Heat stove tube is ok,#2 the Choke valve on the air cleaner housing is not sticking(GM sells heat valve lubricant<choke valve=heat valve>). If It isnt working properly and you have lubricated the heat valve shaft inside the air cleaner housing, try checking the Thermac air temperature sensor. This can be checked simply by runnig it in hot water then cold water. Using your mouth(be a man) suck on the bigger of the two holes in the Sensors vacuum hookups when its hot. It should give resistance to the sucking action. Now try running it in cold water. It should have no resistance or you could say the vacuum will travel to the Heat valve. Got it? TBI'S need this intact to enable the choke feature. 614streets

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2000, 09:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I figured out the problem yesterday.When i put the new engine and computer in i didn`t like the way it was idling so i punched out the little cap over the adjustment screw and turned the idle up.I guess doing this opened the throttle blades a bit or push on the tps and was causing the truck to flood on start up when it was cold.I turned the screw back to where it was and it`s fine now.

1991 blazer 4 dr 4.3 headers,flowmaster,k&n,31x10.5x15 bfg allterrains
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode