anyone using lockers? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2000, 04:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

anyone using lockers?

Curious to lockers on this vehicle and pricing for what your running, do they have a locker for the front of these s-series rides?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2000, 05:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: anyone using lockers?

There are none for the front.. There are a few for the 10 bolt but we S-10ers have a smaller version one than the fullsize & ZR2 ones so they are not the same..

-Troy [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]'<font color=red>WeaZle</font color=red>'[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] McCarty
http://www.tbrs.com/zrschmoo/
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2000, 04:52 AM
Keyboard Implanted

My buddy at work has a Lock Rite in his front diff. After hitting some nasty rocks with his 94 S10 Blazer he rebuilt the diff and put in the locker. I'm not sure which front axle he has but the thing can go into some stuff my XJ has trouble with (no lockers,open diffs)

http://www.skyboom.com/Robison
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2000, 08:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Powertrax(Lock-Right) makes them for the front and rear for the S-10. They run about $300 a peice. I'd definetly go with one in the rear, but I'm not sure about the front. They are a great cheap mechanical locker when compared to an Auburn(junk) or even a factory one. Easy to install too. Mind you, there no Detroit, but you don't have to replace the ring& pinion to install one. Great traction investment.
A.S.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2000, 09:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

How well does the lock right do every day? are you runnin it?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2000, 03:21 AM
Keyboard Implanted

My buddy uses his to drive 20 miles each way to work and has no problems.. He loves it and I'm always impressed the nasty hills he makes it up!

http://www.skyboom.com/Robison
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2000, 08:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Does anyone have any experience or know anything about the new Powertrax No-Slips? Petersons seemed to think they were pretty good for light-duty off-roading, but I was wondering if anyone had tried them on an s-truck lately. Also, do lockers greatly improve the traction in 2wd trucks or is it not really worth it? Just let me know what you think-

Heath Bringham
'92 Chevy S10 2WD
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2000, 09:29 PM

No idea about the Powertrax models, but I can say this... "They're no Detroit" !!!

Lockers are great traction-aiding devices. But with everything you do to make your off-roading more enjoyable and more capable you have trade-offs for road use.

For instance. Rain. On a rainy day you have to be really careful when turning corners. If you put too much power into the turn the locker WILL lock up and you'll end up going sideways. It'll take some getting used to but it can be used to your advantage.

They will also wear your tires out a little prematurely, because you'll have both tires under power more frequently, as opposed to an open differential where the power transfers back and for depending on the torque split and wheel spin.

If you plan on doing a LOT of off-roading, both 4x4 and 4x2, get a locker, like Detroit, Powertrax, or ARB ($$$). If you do a lot of street driving I would recommend either the ARB again or some sort of limited-slip differential. They are more road friendly and cheaper to buy.

A locker in a 4x2 is probably the best best for traction off-road. Most off-road racers will run a spool in the rear end which will give 100% traction to both tires. This will not work on the street as the tires need to be able to rotate at different speeds to handle turning, etc. Off-Road, you just sort of power into it!

Hope that helps. I'm getting long-winded in my old age! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

http://members.xoom.com/desertride/index.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode