want to do t-master 5" - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2000, 02:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

want to do t-master 5\"

I just got back from the superlift sponsered trail ride in Hot springs Ar, and I need more clearence on my 89 Blazer, I had the only S-series there that we saw, and suprised the hell out of a lot of jeep folk, as well as myself (previous toyota owner) Pretty much drug the frame rails on every trail need to know the pros and con of the 5 in trailmaster kit, I'm selling my motorcycle to focus on the truck, know any one interested in an 89 Honda Hawk GT650 that is real trick and affordable?!! 913-780-6583 my name is Paul any way let me know some options and opinions on this and other suspension kits, Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2000, 03:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: want to do t-master 5\"

The Rancho kit (3") and T-master kit (~4") both lower the location of the t-bars making them verry vulnerable to damage.. Tru$t me I know.. If your seriously thinking about rock crawling go with a solid front axle (SFA) conversion.. IFS is not good at all on crawling and hard angle situations.. The cost of the IFS kits are staggering, starting over $1000 and then installs range around $500 or more.. For what, its just giving you more room to install biger tires, no more travel or any thing benificial. A bodylift can do that for under $100.. Get some stronger T-bars like the SAW's and you can crank them a little more than the stock for about a 2" lift.. Keep them tucked in the frame and avoid the IFS lift.. Or I can sell you my Rancho kit when I do my SFA swap..
SFA swaps are even more expencive than the 'Kits' because its really all fabricated and your getting a different front axle.. But the benifits are noticeable..

-Troy [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]'<font color=red>WeaZle</font color=red>'[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] McCarty
http://www.tbrs.com/zrschmoo/
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2000, 03:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had no problems with the rock crawling at all whats so bad about the IFS in this situation, I have a body lift and ya you can fit bigger tires, but you still have the freakin huge frame rails hangin you up on every thing you pass. I never thought about the torsion bars hangin down with the ifs kits, good point did you bang yours alot or something. I would love to do the Straight swap but I'm afraid thats a bit out of my price range, I heard the s-series rancho kit isn't all that good how do you feel, obviously your not to happy if your sellin yours?..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2000, 05:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

No i just banged them once.. The truck is kinda heavy.. I think the Rancho kit is the best one on the market as far as durrability compaired to the T-master kit.. Better arms, a lower sub frame with a front support.. Fit and finish is also nicer.. I love it for what it did.. Im selling mine because I want to make some money back to pay for the SFA.. The reason Im going with the SFA is because I have found the limitations off-road with IFS.. I did like flying down a wash in the dez at blistering speeds where the IFS was fine.. But now im handing that over to my buggie.. Now I want a vehicle that can get me as far back on a trail as I want to go.. IFS can't do that.. Thats why you keep hearing your frame scrape on every thing.. Think of when both sides of an IFS suspention gets compressed.. THat big ole center section gets reall close to the ground.. I have been hung up on more stump that I care to get out again and see what im riping off.. I have had it.. And the vac dissconect up front is a POS!! I also have a 2" body so I can fit even bigger tires, 33x12.5's now.. So that means I need to regear right?? Well 4.56 are fairly non existant for the 7.2 IFS as well as 4.10 (rare).. CV's are weak and expencive to replace.. AS well as balljoints on the IFS system.. I feel I will be getting rid of more problems then what the conversion would entail and be more durrable.. Worth it I think..

-Troy [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]'<font color=red>WeaZle</font color=red>'[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] McCarty
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2000, 09:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Your right about the vac engagement junk thats a joke, I found a manual cable operated kit, gotta have that. what are you lookin to get out of your rancho kit? how soon would you be able to part with it?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2000, 11:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yea I found that cable select thingy.. Cool idea but dont want to throw even andother $100 at it.. Not till summer will I do the swap.. Kinda wet out here in So Cal and my motorcycle does not like the rain.. Not sure on price yet.. Depends on if I package it with 3 sets of torsion bars (2 Sway-A-Ways, 1 GM Heavy Duty) and rims and my 33's..

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2000, 12:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

is it very tough to swap out the torsion bars? wouldnt you have to have an alignment afterwards? What type of bike do you ride?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2000, 12:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It is because you need the tool.. I went to a shop to swap mey HD for the SAW's and they used a bunch of big c-clamps.. Well one guy went to the hospital when one of the clamps exploded sending a peice in his leg.. Those things hold like 1500 lbs of tension.. Definitely get an alignment after..
Ahh bikes, here is here I get wierd.. I ride a thumper in the dirt 97 XR400 and ride two strokes on the street (rather did, sold em long ago)TZR 250 and RZ 350..[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2000, 01:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

cool bikes man, I have a 83 XL600 with 720 original miles, bought new in 93 and I have all the original paper work!! and an 89 Hawk GT with all the goodies, but I'm goin to sell the Hawk, after I finish the truck and my daughter gets a little older I'm hunting down a Ducati!!! Are you insane you should have kept the RZ man!!!!

post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2000, 05:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Naw the TZ was much better.. Made ALL 750's and under smell two stoke fumes.. Even had a 87 GSXR750 bored out to an 860, 38mm flatslide Mikunis, VH race pipe, custom paint.. This thing was tits!!. An electrical company made taco meat out of it and my leg.. Now I no longer ride the street.. Or near as much.. Ducks are nice.. Like Ferraris.. Got to ride some of the older (early 90's) superbikes and Tesi's.. I respect them more than the Jap bikes.. Just more heart put into building a bike.. Im looking at the new Aprilia RS 250 Two stroke.. Gotta stop by the new dealer that opend up and see if I could get one shipped over..

To keep this on topic yes I agree teh Vac disco sucks too or rather blows or whatever.....[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode