4.3 (262) V6 Engine Restore??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2000, 07:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

4.3 (262) V6 Engine Restore???

I got a 1991 S-10 Blazer 4x4 with a 4.3 V6 TBI in it. I just today hit 93,000 miles. I have heard good and bad things about the oil additive RESTORE (the stuff that looks like it is in a Coors light can). What are your opinions and should I try it out or not?? Thanks

Steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2000, 07:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 4.3 (262) V6 Engine Restore???

Just hope RESTORE isn't as watery as Coors Light! Personally, I haven't used that particular product but have used GUNK motor flush. I think its kerosene based or something and seems to remove alot of deposits. That combined with something like Prolong is what my friends swear by.

Tom

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2000, 09:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Don't do it, years ago my mom tried the stuff and it doesn't do anything except kill the motor, about the only stuff that really works is stp if you don't change your oil, and transx for automatic transmission tune up, there are a few others but that is all I can think of right now, hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2000, 09:41 PM

Is there anything wrong with the engine now? Excessive oil consumption? Lack of power?

Do a compression test. Write numbers for each cylinder. Determine if they're all within 10%.

If there are problems, then we'll help diagnose them.

Don't ever use any of those additives. The metal particles they claim will bond to the cylinder walls will really just plug the oil filter, and/or oil passages. Same with products with teflon. Neither belong in your engine, so avoid them like the plague...

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist
My August article on ORC

http://www.off-road.com/land
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2000, 09:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am starting to notice now that I do not have the same amount of power I once did, but that is expected after 93,000 miles. You have convinced me NOT to try that stuff, because I have read that elsewhere also. What would you reccomend doing to try to restore some of the lost horses??? Thanks...

-Steve

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2000, 10:09 PM

When was the last time you had a tune up? Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, oil change, etc... Have you ran any fuel injector/fuel system cleaner through it lately? You have a few options. Since it is fuel injected you can take it some places (or get these cans of stuff) where they will disconnect your fuel line, and hook a can of cleaner up to where the fuel line hooks, start the engine and let it run until the can is empty (about 15 minutes if I recall). This supposedly works awesome although I don't remember who makes the stuff. The other type of cleaner you can get is just the stuff you dump into your gas tank. I prefer Berryman's B12 chem tool. Seems to work the best of the ones I've tried before.

You might also want to change your differential, transfer case and transmission fluids to synthetics, which flow better and can gain a few rear wheel horseypower (as well as making those components last longer). Synthetic oil can help in the engine (if you have no leaks since synthetic molecules are smaller thus easier to leak out. K&N airfilter helps a little. I would bet if you do these things your truck will pick up a bit of power... Make sure the timing's set right but I can't tell you how to do that since I don't have an injected one so I don't know how to set the timing on a computer model.

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist
My August article on ORC

http://www.off-road.com/land
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2000, 10:42 AM

3M makes a fuel injector cleaner if I recall correctly. The guys from Shadetree mechanic used a 3M product that did exactly that.

--Drew
83 S10 4x2
Go <font color=red>Ca</font color=red><font color=white>na</font color=white><font color=red>da</font color=red>!
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2000, 11:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey,

I got a K&N, noticeable difference. I will run some fuel injector cleaner through it, and when I get the chance get the tranny and differential fluids changed....I know that hasnt been done in ages. Thanks for the tip....

-Steve

post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2000, 08:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Don't forget the fuel filter either!
A.S.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode