2.8 ping - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2000, 10:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

2.8 ping

I had to go out of town the other day and the Blazer was running fine (except)while driving up a steep grade on the hwy and the truck started pinging like hell..and driving me nutz.The Blazer has a 4 speed manual ..
Now for the big ?,,can the timing be advanced about 1deg. and use 92 octane..(or) maybe switiching to a better coil?
Im hearing this ping under hard load usually in 2nd gear and up and in 4 wheel starting out in 1st..maybe im just trying to squeeze to much power from it?But in 4WD in first im going slow..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2000, 11:07 PM

Re: 2.8 ping

You need to either retard that timing or increase the octane (or if the ping doesn't stop by just adding higher octane gas, you need to both retard your timing a little and possibly add higher octane gas.) My reasoning for this being that if it's pinging already, it'll get much worse after you advance the timing more. First try the increased octane and see if it fixes the ping. If yes, then you might try to advance it a little more. When you start to get any ping, back your timing back down a little to where there was no ping. This will not only help your engine live a longer life, but also help you make the most power you can (pinging robs power since the mixture is not firing at the right time)...

Or that's the way I understand it at least...

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist
My August article on ORC

http://www.off-road.com/land
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode