body lift settling - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2000, 03:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

body lift settling

Hey guys,
I installed a 3 inch performance acc. body lift about 6 months ago. Everything lined up perfectly. Now i have just noticed that the lines on the cab do not line up with the bed. When i installed the body lift i noticed that the cab had rubber "bushing" were the mounts were and the bed did not. I used those same "bushing" that were on there and now it seems that they have settled down more than usual. Are they really that important or could i make something out of some steal that will be the same height to make the cab sit even. And no none of the mounts to the frame are bent in any way. Thanks

MudderS10s
91 S-10 4.3L, 5 speed, 3 inch bodylift, 32" super swapper TSLs, 2 inch rear shackle lift
73 CJ-5 mods- way too many to list
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2000, 03:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: body lift settling

The bed doesn't have bushings because it doesn't need any vibration isolation from the frame. If you were to replace the body bushings with solid steel, you would get some bad vibrations. Did you ever see that commercial with the Nissan going over ruts in slow motion? You could really see the frame flex and how the cab flexed in relation to the bed.
The body lift puts more stress on the body mounts, bushings, etc. So they probably just compressed a little. If the bushings aren't rotted or split I wouldn't worry about it. If it really bothers you, get some new bushings. Any auto junk store will have them.

Hit? Them tires rub. Rubbin's off roadin.
My web page
http://www.personal.psu.edu/bjh182
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2000, 03:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks. Now that i look at them closer they are split and cracked and rotting away. I will look into getting some new ones. Oh and by the way the jeep that i just restored has no bushings on the body and i get no vibrations. But thanks

MudderS10s
91 S-10 4.3L, 5 speed, 3 inch bodylift, 32" super swapper TSLs, 2 inch rear shackle lift
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2000, 09:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey, Mudder S-10, I was wondering what wheels you're running your 32" Super Swampers on and what backspacing they are? Do they rub any? I'm considering a body lift to complement the 2" sus lift so I can fit 32" SSRs on a 10" wheel.
Can I get away with just a 2" body lift, or is it close? I'll also be running Bushwacker cut-out flares. Are you running stock gears? I'm swapping 3.73s in.
Thanks. A.S.
1989 S-10 4x4 4.3/Auto, 2" lift rear, 15x7s,235/75 Sport Kings

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2000, 06:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am looking at a body lift for my truck. When you put it on was it really that hard, i mean were the bolts all frozen and stuff? Also was it harder to work on the engine and stuff like that, did the body really raise it enough where the engine was sunk down in and it was hard to work on. Also when in stalling it did you have to modify anything to get it to work?

94 S-10 223,000 miles and still running great.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2000, 08:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Nah, body lifts are easy. I did break 2 Craftsman sockets getting the body bolts off though. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Those puppies are torqued to 350 ft lbs, plus a but rusty. I think the truck is easier to survice now. The oil filter is real easy to reach now and and a few other things that have slipped my mind. It is a little more of a reach, but I'm only 5' 10" and have no problems.

THe bumpers and the fun lever (4wd) were the biggest PIA's. I regret using Trailmasters bumper brackets, they are flimsy and don't line up right.

I have some blurbs about installing my body lift on my web site, I don't know how much it will help since mine is an '88.

EDIT: Changed web servers. New link is http://bernie.4t.com/body_lift.htm

Hit? Them tires rub. Rubbin's off roadin.
My web page
http://bernie.4t.com
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2000, 05:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hey 355s-10,
The body lift was to easy for me and friend. It took a total of 4 hours with "PBing" the bolt and everything for a day first though. We have gottin the time down a about 2.5 hours now. Now to the tires, thats a whole nother can of worms. Im running 32 TSLs on the stock 15x8 alloy rim. They rub and hard at full lock and when hitting a good compression bump offroad at a good speed. I will be doing the cut out soon so i can let you know. Also im running 4.10s with no problem. I had the 3.73s and the tires were just to much for the V6 stock. I say don't waste your money on 3.73, go straight to 4.10. hope this helps.

MudderS10s
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-02-2000, 08:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes. Now I think I will go strait to 4.10s. Those are the bias ply(cheap) Super Swampers? 32x10.50 or 32x12.50? The stock wheels are 15x7. Would a wider 15x10" wheel with less backspacing 3" or so cause them to rub less? Or even a wheel spacer? Those TSLs probably bulge quite a bit on a 7" wide wheel huh? Probably why they rub so much. I'm getting custom springs made at a local shop for the rear(shackles suck) and am making HD greasable stock length ones. Check 'em out at www.leafsprings.com I'll probably go with TSL Radials for a better street ride. Thanks for the info, very useful!
A.S.
89 S10 4x4 4.3 2" lift 235s
89 Blazer 4x4 4.3 2" lift 31" BFG A/T kos
85 S10 4x4 2.8 3" body 31" Sport Kings

post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-03-2000, 04:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hey 355 S-10,
The super swappers are the tsl radials and are 10.5s. On the stock rim the bulge really well even when up to street presure(25 psi) on trail they are at 10 psi. I think that wit less bnack spacing they would rub less i don't maybe. The tsl radials ride a lot worse than my new set of BFG A/Ts. The new shackles that im going to get are the revolver swival(sp) shackles to better the rear end articulation to complament the long shock i plan on getting. next year i will be getting new springs and a SFA to make it a off-road only truck(we have stupid height limit laws that make impossible to have a nice high truck). hope that helps

MudderS10s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode