88 blazer - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2000, 03:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

88 blazer

ok heres my problem.. i have a stock 88 s-10 blaxer 2.8-4x4. the prob is that i can't get the front axle to engage, UNLESS i disconnect and reconnect the batterey... everything seems to be working propertly (vaccum diaphram shift cable, shift light) but i don't have 4 wheel drive... i have heard about a relay going bad, and that there are 3 of them, can you tell me where and how to test them when i find them... Also, when i shift into 4 hi i have a open rearend(one tire spins and spins and spins) but when i shift into 4 lo my rearend locks... why?

Tim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2000, 10:53 AM

Re: 88 blazer

I don't think it's relays it's vacuum switches on the transfer case. At least on the 85's not sure about the computer controlled models but I would doubt they'd change it. If they did, then I'll have to do some major changes to the troubleshooter I'm working on typing up for these for the Chevy page here (very little time for that lately).

Are you sure the front axle doesn't engage until you unhook the battery?

If your truck has relays instead of vacuum switches let me know please. Actually I have to ask, is yours a push button 4x4 or do you have the actual lever you pull to put the t-case into it's different modes? I forget if 88's had autopush button crap or not... (In case you were wondering why I don't like the pushbuton stuff, it's durability, and the fact that I like shifting the t-case myself so I know it's getting done... )

Sorry I haven't helped much...

I don't think it's your rear end locking, but the system gains more torque (around 2.6) times the normal torque, which I think causes the spider gears in there to seem locked or some such thing. Just a guess on that though... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist
My August article on ORC

http://www.off-road.com/land
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2000, 12:34 PM

Hi Tim,
To answer your first question, there are no relays that control the 4x4 system at all. It is a vacuum/cable system, and if you are having problems, its in one of them. Having to disconnect your battery to get the 4x4 to work must be a coincidence, because it has no connection to the engagement process. As for your rearend locking up in 4x4, that feeling is caused by the fact that you have two axles turning at a slightly different speed while turning, this causes the binding-up feeling like your rear end is locked. This is a good test to see if the 4x4 is working.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] I would double check the vacuum at the actuator and see that the cable is being pulled in. I have seen it where the cable will move and the clip that holds it to the front axle engagement fork is broken and has to be replaced, but if it works sometimes, that probably isn't it. Good luck, and let us know what you find.
David G.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

'91 S15 Jimmy 5.7L 4X4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2000, 02:33 PM

Your rear axle is not locking up when in low range.....what is happening is the wheel RPMs are much lower and you are not breaking the tire's traction or grip. Since both tires have traction, they are both pulling and not spinning.

If the Blazer's front axle is anything like my Jeep Cherokee's, your shift collar might be sticking on the axle halfshaft splines, leaving the front axle unlocked. Good Luck!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2000, 03:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have the lever type transfer case. i know it isn't going into 4 wheel frive because i can really spin my back tires.

Thanks for the help
Tim

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2000, 03:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

THere was a discussion about trouble shooting the 4wd system about 2 weeks ago, check back and let us know what you find. You can get something called posi-lock from JC Whitney's for $100. You can activate the front axle by pulling a cable. Much more reliable than that damn factory vacume system.

About the rear in low range, it will not spin both when you REALLY need it to.

Hit? Them tires rub. Rubbin's off roadin.
My web page
http://www.personal.psu.edu/bjh182
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2000, 06:54 PM

Here are some links of stuff to check just to be sure:
Recent troubleshooting for an 87 Blazer owner
Follow up to the troubleshooting previously
One more

I really hope people start listing their problems directly in the title, makes finding stuff so much easier when that happens... Not talking about anyone in particular but everyone as a whole... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist
My August article on ORC

http://www.off-road.com/land
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode