Torsion bar question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2000, 03:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Torsion bar question

94' S-10 4x4 4.3
Everyone keeps talking about cranking up the torsion bars to fit 30x9.5's on our tucks. How do you do it? Now I'm not slow, I've looked at it and have my own opinion but I'm anxious to hear the opinion of someone who's done it. I also see that the vast majority likes BFG tires. I like the MT's but how do they handle on the road? Like most city dwellers, I drive 99.99999% of the time on a paved surface. But I'm willing to trade noise and everything else for an aggressive looking tire that will work when I go to camp.
What kind of shackels do I need for the back if any?
Thanks a bunch in advance.

Also: on a completely different note that I'm sure all of you guys will appreciate: My bone stock (except for a K&N airfilter) 94 S-10 (et 16.76) whooped a 94 6cyl mustang (et 18.04) by over a second at the drag strip...consistantly! (My buddy with the mustang HATES that story) Gotta love that!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2000, 04:53 PM

Re: Torsion bar question

I ran 30x10.50 BFG AT's on my truck and didn't even crank up the torsion bars. If you do it will give a little harsher ride and a bit more room. Look for the cross member that has the two long rods (torsion bars), going from the front control arms towards the rear, you will see the brackets that they go into with the bolts on the end of them. Thoses are the bolts that you screw in to crank up the torsion bars. measure your ride height on both sides to make sure that you lift it evenly, or just turn both bolts in the same number of turns, and still measure the ride height on both sides. They sell the shackle lifts at Auto Zone or any of the major parts stores.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
David G.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

'91 S15 Jimmy 5.7L 4X4
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2000, 06:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just don't get the “if a little is good then more is better” syndrome.

I know some people that just cranked them up the whole way and the results are not good. A lot of excess wear on the front end.
I did this on my trail truck (over 2") and the bars sagged after just a few off road trips. That definitely isn't typical, I just beat the poor thing to death (lots of jumps). I could have had something to do with when my friend thought it would be fun to drive into a dug foundation (6 foot almost vertical drop). But that is a whole other story. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Now the adjuster bolts are the whole way in. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

I'd say 1-1.5", maybe I'm conservative, but changing ball joints and CV's isn't fun.
Actually, I like the idea of cranking the bars an 1" so the front suspension doesn't bottom out as much on the trails.

Don't forget an alignment when you are done.

Tires, I am not one of the majority. BFG is a great tire, but I got really pi$$ed when they set minimum pricing on the AT's. I'll take a set of Coopers and 4 cases of beer over BFG's any day.
MT's or AT's, that is a tough one. I regret not getting MT's every time I go off road, but the other 95% of the time when I am on that hard black stuff or that slippery white stuff I am glad I got AT's. My next set will be muds.

Hit? Them tires rub. Rubbin's off roadin.
My web page
http://www.personal.psu.edu/bjh182
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2000, 08:16 PM

OK, I'm in the majority with BFG's. Here's a good way to make your decision on what to get...

If you drive short distances back and forth to work and don't mind a little extra noise, go with the BFG Mud Terrains. They wear out relatively fast if you do a lot of highway driving...

All-Terrains are good overall tires. They are quieter on the road, and handle the vast majority of the terrain. The new KO series AT's have an agressive tread on them. Took them out to the beach in Mexico ('cuz I can't do it in Southern California for some reason [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]) and they wanted to dig a LOT. I didn't air them down but if I did I'm sure I'd get all the sand traction I woul need...

About the torsion bars. Please note that cranking up the torsions is NOT a replacement for a lift kit. It helps, but it makes for a rougher ride and modifies your spring rates on the bars. And yes, you just have to tighten the nut on the back side of the bars. One of the best ways I've found is to crank they up about 5-10 twists on each side, and then "bounce" the front end to get them to settle. Just get your hands on the truck and start pushing down on it. The bars need to settle a bit into position before you can take accurate measurements. The best measurement place I've found is from the top of the tire rim to the top of the fenderwell... good comparison for each side.

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

http://members.xoom.com/desertride/index.htm
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2000, 08:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You can fit 30's no problem. I've been running them on my truck for a few years. I am not in the majority, just last friday I bought a set of cooper discoverer stt's, the mud tire. They look awesome! Can't wait to get them off road.

The Duke

I'm old enough to know better, but still too young to care.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2000, 09:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ok i had 30x9.5's on my truck to small i crancked them and put shackles on. I'll attach a pick. I have had my up for a year and nothing really has appended. I like it i got 31's under it now. With wheel spacers.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17-244039-MikeO'Reilly2.jpg (55.5 KB, 6 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode