Need shocks & wheels for ZR2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 10:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Need shocks & wheels for ZR2

Hi all,

I need to put a new set of shocks onto my `96 ZR2. It is a daily driver and occasional froader. What kind of shocks will give me the best of both worlds? I was thinking about Rancho RS5000's, but they made my last S-10 ride like an overloaded garbage truck.

It's also getting time for new rubber. I am going to run 32x11.5xR15 BFGoodrich M/T's again, only this time I'm offing the stock 7.5" wide wheels for something wider (8.5" or 8.75"). I don't know much about wheels and a friend of mine started telling me horror stories last night about getting the wrong offset. I'm going with aluminum wheels again. How do I tell the guys at the tire/wheel shop what kind of wheel offset I want?

<font color=red>TOO MUCH POWER</font color=red> isn't enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 11:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Need shocks & wheels for ZR2

I've heard good things about the Rancho RSX and RS9000's and I agree the RS5000s suck! personally I run Monroe Expert Series on the truck and the HD yellows on the Blazer. I like the Reflex series. BTW Tenneco owns Rancho & MOnroe, so they are similar! I do 80/20 on/off-road. You have a Zr-2 so you probably have Bilsteins, are they any good? On your wheel selection, you should talk to Diver, hes away for a month I think, but hes got a Zr-2 and a Blazer and has the wheel/tire situation covered. Backspacing is key on these trucks as is correct tire&wheel width. I plan on installing 32's on my truck also after my 2" body lift (already have 2" sus) on 15x10 wheels whichever ones I can find with the correct backspacing to fit under the fender without rubbing too much. I plan on running SSRs. My stock 15x7 aluminums(4x4S10)wheels have 5" of backspacing, and I think ZR-2s have 6", with a 2" wider track width. You should probably go with a 10" wheel so the 11.50 will flatten out on the wheel.
Look for wheels with different backspacings. Theres an old post from diver on this page, look for it and get the correct info for sure. Good luck.
One question, you were running 32X11.5R 15 BFG M/Ts on stock 7.5" wide wheels?
Did the sidewalls really bulge out?
*CHECK divers REPLY ON MORE TRACTION BETTER HANDLING POST BY SLAB*
A.S.
1989 S10 4x4 4.3 2" shackle lift 235s
1989 S10 Blazer HD sus 31/10.50 BFG A/Tkos

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2000, 09:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Need shocks & wheels for ZR2

355 -

Yes, I am presently running BFG 32x11.50xR15 M/T's on the stock 7.5" wheels. Road noise is horrendous and tread wear is pretty bad. The tires are worn substantially at the center of the tread and the outside edges are still pretty decent. Sidewall bulge is more than I'd like to see but I haven't had any problems because of it offroad. The tires have about 60k on them, so I guess I can't complain too much. Handling isn't that bad.

I think the truck looks a bit better with the wider tires than with the 10.5" wide rubber it came with stock. I've pulled up behind other ZR2's in the past with stock tires/wheels and it almost looks like they're riding on motorcycle tires!

Yes, I do have the stock Bilstein's on my truck. The shocks aren't too bad but I had some problems with them - one leaked and lost a lot of fluid before the truck was out of warranty. The ride is getting rough all around now so I figure it's time for an upgrade.

Thanks for the suggestion about the previous post. I'll do a search for the thread when I get a few minutes later.

<font color=red>TOO MUCH POWER</font color=red> isn't enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode