3.8 swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 10:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

3.8 swap

i have an 85 S-10 pickup 4WD, 2.8, 5sp. i read somewhere that a 3.8 --98-99 Camaro-- is possible. any info on this swap would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 07:13 AM

Re: 3.8 swap

Anything is possible, but there would be major electronic nightmares to overcome because that system has on-board diagnostics 2, which was started in 1996. It would be much more simple to install a 3.4 from a camaro, they are easy to come by and almost as much power, and they will bolt right in. Headers, performance chip, TBI spacer, and free flowing exhaust, and it would be very impressive. Since your truck doesn't have fuel injection, I would install the multi-port system that comes stock on the camaro. Get the wiring, ECM, and instll an inline fuel pump, and your ready to go. I did a 3.4 swap on one of my blazers and was very impressed.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Hope this is helpful.
David G.

'91 S15 Jimmy 5.7L 4X4
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 10:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Go to the search part of this BBS and type in "231 Buick into 86 S10". You should find a thread of posts from Vern who has done this thing before. Its a bit more expensive than a 3.4L swap, but IMHO the 3.8 is a superior engine, especially the 95-2000 Camaro/Firebird ones, an honest 200HP from a pushrod V-6, but the SEFI 3.8Ls in FWD cars are excellent too, and have a straight forward fuel injection system, better than a 2.8/3.1/3.4 ever had! Whatever you choose, good luck with it, anyhtings better than the 2.8! 3.4s came in 1993-1994 Camaros only as they were severely underpowered for a car, let alone a 4000# truck!
A.S.
1989 S10 4x4 4.3
1989 Blazer 4x4 4.3

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2000, 11:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

how about a 305? or a 350? i have heard of these but have read no useful posts as to what is required besides the engine. also, where can i find a 3.4 besides gm performance? going thru gm is too expensive for me

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2000, 05:08 PM

I bought mine from a salvage yard, it only had 7500 miles on it and I paid $1000. It you don't mind one with a few more miles, you can get them for a bit less. Most salvage yards will ship it to you. I can get you a number for you if you can't find one. I know of one with less than 1k [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] miles for $1100. It also depends where you are located for delivery. Hope this helps.
David G

'91 S15 Jimmy 5.7L 4X4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode