87 4x4 fixed vacuum but - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2000, 10:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

87 4x4 fixed vacuum but

ok i got the vacuum problem fixed and the actuator is workin the cable but it still won't go in 4 hi or 4 lo can someone tell me what should i look for now?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2000, 11:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 87 4x4 fixed vacuum but

<font color=blue>Are you sure that it is working. I had this prob once and it looked like it was working but it was not. You can squeeze it your self to engage it but you will not be able to get it back out.
Diesel22</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>Jeff Henderson
Asst Webmaster @ s10-4x4.com
The best s10 4x4 websight is http://www.s10-4x4.com
My home http://www.geocities.com/diesel22_us</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 12:11 AM

I assume that means the cable moves freely by hand? If not, that's something to check. If the diaphragm moves but not the cable (you have to look very close because it can be deceiving), the little clip holding the diaphragm to the cable is missing, you can bend a paper clip to perform this function if need be.

Now if the cable moves freely and the actuator pulls that, then you're going to need to pull the cable from the front differential (one or two bolts)... I don't have my haynes manual at the moment handy to search it for a diagram of the engagement mechanism. I think diver said that there is a little clip or some other similar thing inside there that broke when you experience symptoms like that, you can do a search for "diver" and see what comes up, I think he's gone for the month, so it'll be a while before he can explain it, I'll try and find a picture of it if you need it, or at least a better description of how to fix it...

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist
My August article on ORC

http://www.off-road.com/land
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 02:13 PM

I have seen the clip that hold the cable into the front axle shift fork break. You have to take the cover off the front axle where the cable goes into it, but only do this if you are sure that the vacuum actuator and the cable are working properly. The dealer doesn't sell the clips, so I drilled and tapped the shift fork and used a set screw to secure the cable into it. It never came apart, and a cheap fix for 44 cents.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

'91 S15 Jimmy 5.7L 4X4
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 09:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

you was right the cable was not moving all the wat it was sliping inside the actuator the clip is not holding it! i ran out of time put i think i well try the paper clip the light on the pic comes on now but the light that tell me if i'm in hi or lo still don't come on. it stays on in 2 wheel drive. i don't think its going in all the way
thank u for your help

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 09:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thank u for the reply i'm geting closer te fixing it put i'm not there yet

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 11:33 PM

Those little round lights on the console that are next to what range you're in are pretty well useless, the only light there you really need to be concerned with is the diagram of the truck... None of those 4 little round indicator lights work on mine but the 4x4 still works... Keep us informed as to the progress...

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist
My August article on ORC

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 03:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hey Sandman thank u for your help everythink is work right but tham lights i can live with that *lol* on that clip holding the cable in to the actuator what about butting a hole and taping it out and put a set screw in it? what do u think about that?

post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2000, 12:28 AM

I haven't thought of using a set screw, since that cable isn't all that thick, it'd have to be a particularly small screw... Instead I think what would work better would be to take a small hose clamp (the kind with a screw that you turn to tighten it, not one of those el-cheapo clips GM tends to like to use in some places on the vehicles), and put it where the cable goes into the rubber thing and tighten the clamp down to ensure that the cable stays connected to the diaphragm. I haven't tried it but now that I'm thinking about it, it does seem to be a logical and easy way to make sure to not have to rely on that little paperclip type thing although I'd still leave that paper clip thingee there also just to be absolutely sure the cable stays connected to the diaphragm as it should...

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Glad you have it working now by the way... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist
My August article on ORC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode