Fans and exhaust - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2000, 03:01 PM
BigAl

Fans and exhaust

I think it is time to replace the "fly swatter" [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] with a Flex-a-lite fan, but I don't have the money to invest in an electric fan. They make a replacement fan for use with the serpentine belt with counter-clockwise rotation, which is what I have. Does anyone have one of these? Do you need the fan spacer they offer? They also make a standard fan and clutch as a direct replacement. Which is better?

Oh, another thing, when I bought my truck the exhaust system from the catalytic converter - out was replaced. I cannot find anything, anywhere, regarding headers, etc., for this truck. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] Is my only option to go with stock?

Al [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

'87 Jimmy 4X4 2.8L [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 03:09 PM
BigAl

Re: Fans and exhaust

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Someone have any advice or response to this? Thanks in advance....

Al [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

'87 Jimmy 4X4 2.8L [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 03:39 PM

Ok I'll bite, why do you want to replace your fan? just for "$hits and giggles" or what?
Option 1: The replacement fan, I have seen a lightweight plastic version of the original fan, that is made by flex-a-lite they have them at some Checker Auto stores, I believe you still use your fan clutch. I don't really see much gain coming from them though? maybe a little because of the weight?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Option 2: The steel/aluminum flexfan, and replace the fan clutch with a solid spacer. sometimes they are a little noisy but I think they do cool a little better.
Option 3: The electric fan, Me/myself personally do not like electric fans, and this is why,
#1 They DO NOT move as much air as a mechanical fan (This is not opinion, this is fact).
#2 If you ever have an electrical or charging problem you can still 99% of the time drive home with a mechanical fan, but NOT if you have an electric fan.
#3 They pull alot of power, thus making your alt work harder, and shortening it's life or making you need to upgrade it, which means the pulley will be harder to turn and you loose more HP, and if you have other accessories like KC lights, Stereo/Amp, Winch, etc... you are stealing power that you may need.
As far as headers, Alot of companies make headers for these, do a "search" for "headers" and I would bet you get tons of info.

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 10:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm positive that JBA, Edelbrock T.E.S. or almost any other header company makes a set that will fit. Why are you replacing your fan? IS the clutch still working right? If it is, why bother? $190 is a lot of money for a fan,even if its a bolt- on Black-majic! Granted it does move 2800 CFM max, about 2200 at normal speed but does pull the amps. Not a good idea with a questionable electrical system(batt, alt, hacked wiring)or if you plan on lights or a winch in the future. Just my $.02
A.S.
1989 S10 4x4 4.3
1989 SBlazer 4x4 .4.3

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2000, 04:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Al. Edelbrock makes a really nice Tubular exhaust system for all versions of your s-10 2.8. It comes with headers and a y-pipe, + acessories for $200 at jegs. Pacesetter also makes headers for 2.8 s10's. J.C. whitney carries them. A black magic electric fan is available bolt on for s10's , but to save dough like you mentioned get a cheap flex fan.2.8

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2000, 06:23 PM

I have a reverse rotation fan, I bought it through Jegs. It does require a 1" spacer. It doesn't move quite as much air as the stock one, but it does so quite well.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
David G.

'91 S15 Jimmy 5.7L 4X4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode