Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   GM Small Trucks & SUV's (https://forums.off-road.com/gm-small-trucks-suvs/)
-   -   alternator problem/story (https://forums.off-road.com/gm-small-trucks-suvs/40680-alternator-problem-story.html)

**DONOTDELETE** 10-03-2000 10:59 PM

alternator problem/story

The other day i was crusing on down to school, in my stock S-10 (exept for the sterio). The 87 S-10 with a 2.8 which is suffering from severe cancer (rust), was making some light clicking noises. I didn;t think much of it then but later that week, it started to make them lounder. Well as i was coasting to a stop at the stop sign, the engene stalled on me, for the first time ever!!. For a moment i though i ran out of gas, but the tank showed half full. I tried to start it again, but it wouln't turn over, I could hear the starter kicking in, but it would turn over. So i pushed it to the side of the road and hitched a ride to school. Once the s-10 got towed to the shop, the descovered that the altornation had froze up, thuse causing the engene to stop, and not be able to start again. Is this common for my engene. It is an 87 S-10 with a 2.8, I just had a full tun up this summer. the engine has 90,000 miles on it and at the tune up was the first time the spark plug wires had been replaced. THey also did a compresion test, and that showed that the engene was shot. Any coments on this situation

Blazernut 10-04-2000 04:47 AM

Re: alternator problem/story

It is a common thing to have the bearings go out on your alternator after many years/miles. Just replace it and go on. Start looking and saving your $$$$ for your next S-truck, they will serve you well, all 10 of the ones I have had I've enjoyed, but I have replaced several alternators also.
Hope this is helpful.
David G.

'91 S15 Jimmy 5.7L 4X4

The_Sandman_454 10-04-2000 02:21 PM

A friend of mine had the alternator bearings go out on his fullsize (350CID V8), and the alternator going out was enough to keep that thing from turning over also...

You could just save up for a 3.4L swap using all your current components and go for some bigger tires (with rust on the truck it makes inhibitions about hacking up the fenders start to disappear), or start saving up for a different truck... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist
My August article on ORC

http://www.off-road.com/land

**DONOTDELETE** 10-09-2000 12:37 AM

The complications of a locked-up alternator are common on ALL 1987-1996 GMs. The tension from the serpentine belt combined with the severe drag on the alternator is enough to render the starter useless, even the gear-reductions like mine. The flaw is in the rear housing of the 10-si, as the rear bearing isn't big enough, and the cooling for the diodes is inadequate. That combined with age and some dirt, and poof, lockup city! I'm on my 3rd alternator currently. The second one was a rebulit one with the "iceberg conversion" from JCWhitney, it lasted 1 year. This one is a $69 2year warranty rebuilt from Auto Zone, and its already started whining after a month. Next I'm going with the $130 Duralast Gold from AZ with a lifetime warranty, or a Delphi from a new S10!
Definetly go for a new engine a bigger tires! Keep the S-10 dream alive!
A.S.
1989 S10 4x4 4.3 2" lift 235's
1989 SBlazer 4x4 4.3 2" lift 31x10.50 BFG A/T KOs