help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2000, 10:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

help

my 4 wheel drive won't engage the light won't come on when i even put it in high or low, do u think i might just need oil,or what could be the problem????

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2000, 05:00 AM

Re: help

Sounds like you may need a vacuum switch, which is the most common item to go bad in the 4x4 system. Just to check, jack up one front tire, block the rear wheels, put the t-case in 4hi, and try to turn the front driveshaft by hand, if it turns you have a t-case problem, if it doesn't, you have a vacuum problem or a front axle problem. If the driveshaft doesn't turn start with replacing the vacuum switch on the drivers side of the t-case just above the front driveshaft, it had three hoses plugged onto it. If you need help with further diagnosis, let me know. Hope this is helpful. Talk to you later.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
David G.

'91 S15 Jimmy 5.7L 4X4
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2000, 02:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If the front diff doesn't engage a cracked vacuum line is the most likely culprit. Disconnect the vacuum line on the bottom of the vacuum actuator, it is located on the passenger side inner fender. Engage 4wd (with the engine running). You should feel a strong vacuum in the line, I never put a gage to it, but I would guess 20 lbs. If you don't feel suction, or a weak one, replace the line. If that doesn't help, change the vacuum switch mentioned above.
If you feel a strong suction, the diaphragm in the vacuum actuator maybe cracked or something further down the line.
Let us know what you find.

Hit? Them tires rub. Rubbin's off roadin.
My web page
http://www.personal.psu.edu/bjh182
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2000, 02:52 PM

It doesn't need to be a strong vacuum, in fact my truck's vacuum actuator engages with only a slight vacuum... Barely enough to feel it...

What I'd do is find your vacuum actuator, start the engine and observe the actuator... If it doesn't engage, then it's time for more checking, with the engine still running, pull the vacuum line off of the actuator, and put your finger across the vacuum line to feel for vacuum there. If there is vacuum there, then try moving the cable that's attatched to the diaphragm by hand. If you cannot move that cable in the direction it's supposed to go (the cable pulls towards the vacuum diaphragm), then it's time for some more checking with the front diff. You'll have to pull where the cable goes into the front diff and make sure it can move freely, greasing if necessary. If there was no vacuum to the actuator and/or the cable pulls freely, then the problem is either in the actuator or in the vacuum switch on the t-case or vacuum lines... To test the actuator, put a vacuum pump on the actuator and pump it up to see if it pulls in. You can substitute a hose of the appropriate size and suck on it to get the vacuum to pull it also. The vacuum pump method works better since you can pump it up to whatever vacuum you need, and then walk away from it for a little while. When you come back the guage on the vacuum pump should be exactly the same or nearly the same as when you started. If not then your diaphragm likely has a tear in it... If the actuator checks out to be ok, then the problem is likely caused by the vacuum line or switches... Anywho that's a slightly out of order version of the diagnosis of the vacuum engage system for these trucks that I've been working on for the Chevy page... Not quite ready to submit it yet though...

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist
My August article on ORC

http://www.off-road.com/land
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2000, 04:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yours works with a slight vacuum? Mine requires a fairly stong vacuum to engage 4wd, I can definitally feel it. I had the hardest time figuring why my 4wd would ingage 'cause the vacuum line had a very small crack and still had good suction. I even tried sucking the vacuum actuator in with good old lung power, but that wasn't strong enough.

Hmmm, maybe I have a small crack in my diaphram... I'll have to look into that.

Hit? Them tires rub. Rubbin's off roadin.
My web page
http://www.personal.psu.edu/bjh182
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode