Radiator - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 04:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Radiator

My radiator fluid is brown and ready for new. Where will I find the drain plug? Also when I get iut flushed do i just run the hose in it to flush it out, and then fill it up?
Also I need to check my tranny, transfer case and both anxel levels. What kind of tool do I use to get the plugs out? Are they all the same?

1995 S10 Truck, 4X4, Ext. Cab, 4.3 Vortec V6, 31/10.5/15 BFG TA's, 3" Trailmaster Body Lift, Westin Side Bars.
Ryan Sharpe Denver, CO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2000, 07:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Radiator

The petcock(drain) for the radiator will be at the bottom on the drivers' side, and look like a big plastic wingnut! I've found by placing a homeade 2 liter bottle funnel with a length of hose on it makes less of a mess draining the coolant into a container. If you don't, it tends to run down the framerail! When I did my truck, I bought a bottle of radiator flush at the parts store, you drain out your anti-freeze, pour in the flush, add water to fill rad, then run engine with heater on, drain rad, then repeat. This stuff really does the trick! I suggest using Dexcool coolant(Texaco Havoline) if your truck doesn't already use it. I found it at a department store for the same price as regular antifreeze! It lasts for 5 years or 100,000 miles whichever comes first, The only thing to run IMHO if you have anything aluminum in your cooling system!.
Now, as for the fluid levels, I know the rear plug is on the passengers' side, and is an allen head, just like the calipers(3/8 I think). A caliper socket is the best tool to use to check it. I think the front IFS plug is the same as the rear, but its on the front of the housing. I believe its the only plug, so if you ever want to change the 90W, you'd need a suction gun to get it out. The transfer case has a few different plugs, but you want the closest one to the top, I usually use a large crescent wrench to get these. On your transmission, if its a manual, its should have 2 or more plugs on the drivers' side, again you want the highest one(lower ones are drain plugs). If its an auto, drive around until its up to Normal temp, leave engine running and check level on dipstick in park, it should be in the safe area on the dipstick. Well, hope this helps you out and answers your questions.
A.S.
1989 S10 4x4
1989 SBlazer 4x4

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode