Seats? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Seats?

I was wondering if there are any seats that swap directly into an 1985 (or around that vintage at least) S15 pickup (standard cab)... My bench seat in there now is getting a little long in the tooth... Some of the springs are starting to break, and the seat sags a bit as a result, the fabric has that non-factory "grease/ATF mixture" color option [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img], and since the center section of the seat is useless due to the manual tranny shifter and the 4x shifter and I don't have any short people to stuff in there, I think I'd like to try for some bucket seats this time... Any (preferrably low $$$) suggestions of what swaps in without a ton of work? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Thanks...

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist
My August article on ORC

http://www.off-road.com/land
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 09:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Seats?

My buddy has an 85 blazer out behind his house... The interior is in really nice condition. When I had my jimmy I was going to take those seats because they are alot nicer then mine where. Anyway if you think you might be interseted I am sure he will get off them really cheap. Let me know

Later

Nick
[email protected]
83' s10 extended cab 4x4 supercharged 2.8l v6
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2000, 02:23 PM

Re: Seats?

I did the exact thing you want to do Tim. I took the buckets out of a S10 Blazer I found at the local wreckers. Putting them in is pretty easy as well.

Parts:
Bucket Seats

2 - 1" x 3/8" bolts with nuts & washers.
Get as large a washer as possible for these two bolts. Use Grade 5 or 8 if possible.

2 - 2" x 3/8" bolts with nuts & washers
Get a washer that is about 1.5" - 2" in diameter.

Silicone Caulk. Bathtub silicone works great(I tried RTV. Doesn't work)

Steps:
-Remove the bench Seat. The seatbelts are attached to the floorpan & are in the right place for the buckets as well so leave them.

-Mount the passenger side bucket on the studs the the bench was mounted to.
-Adjust the bracket on the other side till it is resting such that the bracket & floorpan is as close to even as possible(on this side it's easyt).
-Mark the location for the other two holes on the floorpan and drill with the right size bit(about 3/8). Do one hole at a time & check the position of the brackets after drilling the each hole(do the rear first, it's easier)
-Run the shorter bolt with washer up from the underside. If you drilled the holes "slightly" undersize, the bolts will not fall out the bottom when loosened.
-Tighten the bolts "finger tight" & check for any binding. If none exists(I didn't have any) get a friend to hold either the bolt or nut while you tighten the bolts. Be careful on the front bolt as the bolt runs through the front floor support which is only sheetmetal(You don't want to crush this[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]).

-Repeat this process on the drivers side. The driver's side does have on pecularity. The front inside mounting point on the drivers side isn't level. Drilling the front bolt on this side can be kind of tricky.

There is only one main problem with this method. The holes have to be drilled through the cab floor. That's what the silicone caulk is for.

--Drew
83 S10 4x2
Go <font color=red>Ca</font color=red><font color=white>na</font color=white><font color=red>da</font color=red>!
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode