Hypertech - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 03:10 PM
BigAl

Hypertech

I wasn't sure about buying a computer chip, but after I installed it I almost died [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] when the truck actually accelerated up a hill in 5th gear! The overall acceleration is faster and smoother [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] and it was definitely worth it (for those of you who are contemplating buying one).

Sorry if it sounds like I'm in sales [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Al [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

'87 Jimmy 4X4 2.8L [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 03:51 PM

Re: Hypertech

Are you? Hmmm? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

What type of chip did you get? Was it performance only or the "six-pack" type chips you get for all sorts of conditions?

Ease of installation? Price? Reviews? Chevy Board article product review?

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

http://members.xoom.com/desertride/index.htm
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 11:01 PM
BigAl

Because they check emissions in NC, that severely limits [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] what performance products can be used, legally. Anyway, it was the Thermomaster (performance) chip for $127 and it took about 15 easy minutes to install. I had looked around and I didn't really find anything else I could use for this model year & engine. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 11:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Did you replace your thermostat with a 160 degree one? Or does it run okay with the stock one? The local junkyard has a Hypertech for my Blazer, and they wanted me to buy it last time I was there. Maybe I will now. Is the rest of your Jimmy stock? Inquiring minds want to know.
A.S.
1989 S10 4x4 355
1989 S-Blazer 4x4 4.3

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 08:38 AM
BigAl

Right now I am using the stock thermostat and a completely stock engine. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I just put a K&N filter in last night, though I haven't really driven the truck since. I will be installing the Holley (400 CFM) TBI this weekend, and I am looking forward to driving [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] afterwards. I have ordered a 180 degree stat, and so far the engine is running smooth without it. I found it interesting that the "techs" at truckperformance.com and Hypertech recommended not to use the 160 degree stat and no real reason was given for that! They did say that if you are going to be in cold climates this winter to use the 180 instead, and I will be driving up north so I didn't want to chance it.

As far as using the chip from the junkyard, check the number on the chip and make sure it matches the applicable number for your year, engine, & trans. at this site: http://www.hypertech-inc.com You can use the chip without the 160/180 stat, but you probably will not squeeze out all the performance.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 01:50 PM

Do any of you happen to know the blank Eprom part number, or manufacturer?
This would be printed on the chip itself with white numbers. but probably covered with a label that has Hypertechs part number on it.

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 11:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The one in the junkyard came out of an 89 S10 longbed with 4.3/auto, so it will work in my Blazer. I'll check on the blank Eprom part number, if its still there. My Blazer already has a 160 degree stat, and my truck has a 180 degree one. The Blazer never gets to 210, even with the A/c on in 95 degree heat! I may be going back to the 4.3 in my truck, as the 355 is suffering major blow-by, and insists on reaching 260 before the thermostat opens! I believe the coolant passage is blocked somewhere. Plus I have all kinds of exhaust leaks, and my rearend is showing its age (172,000 miles) with increased backlash, and the Cv joints hate the V-8, so does all the IFS, it blows the seals out constantly. So, I'll probably go with rebuilt heads and a low-mileage short block 4.3 in it, and rebuild the rearend, and possibly look for a Dana 30. The 4.3 won't be stock, mind you- probably an Edelbrock Intake, 1.6 roller rockers, headers, Jacobs ignition, etc. Just a mild 4.3.
A.S.
1989 S10 4x4 355(soon to be 4.3)
1989 SBlazer 4x4 4.3

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode