2.8 Suggestions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2000, 11:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

2.8 Suggestions

Hey y'all. Recently some of my relatives purchased an 85 S10 4wd for $500. It has a 2.8/5speed, tilt cruise a/c 4wd works, solid body, cap, stripes, etc. They said it was on its 3rd engine when they bought it, now they blew this engine! I was wondering what suggestions/solutions you guys could come up with. They don't want to invest over $500 in it, but they don't want to go through engines like water either. I told them to sell it to me so I can do a SFA swap and put a 350 in it, I even offered them $250 for it! Oh yeah, BTW what do I have to do flat tow it to my shop, put trans & case in N or do I need to pull the rear driveshaft? I believe this is similar to Sandmans truck. What gears does it likely have? Man, I just did this on an 85 Blazer and hoped it would be my last encounter with a carbed 2.8! The fun never ends!
A.S.
1989 S10 4x4 355
1989 S10 Blazer 4x4 4.3
Maybe 1985 S10 D30/D44 350/33"Swampers?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 12:55 AM

Re: 2.8 Suggestions

That sounds pretty similar to my truck (except I don't have A/C, and the body on mine still needs some work)... Not sure about the engine... I occasionally tag mine up to 6k rpms, and have for around 10,000 miles without problems, just do regular maintenance on it... Shows no signs of dying at all yet... 10k isn't very many but that's about the time since the last one (that one had lasted for 150k miles, was the original and had been swapped out for an engine out of a scrap yard... I've never heard that the 2.8L has been particularly easy to kill, I'm wondering what their maintenance procedures and the maintenance done by the previous owners was, and/or how they ran it... Any idea how many miles are on the truck itself?

I think the front (front one since the truck doesn't have lock out hubs and the front drive shaft spins no matter what and it might not spin enough in neutral to lube the bearings or some such thing), and rear driveshaft should be pulled... The Haynes manual recommends against flat towing or using a regular tow truck for more than 50 miles... If you do pull the driveshafts make sure and mark them so you can get them in phase when you reinstall so you don't get those irritating vibrations...

Not sure on the gears, mine had optional (I think optional) 3.73:1 and the gov-lock from the factory according to the options sheet on the inside of the glovebox... The one you're thinking of should have one of those stickers that spells the options out in plain english also...

Keep us posted as to what goes on with it... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist
My August article on ORC

http://www.off-road.com/land
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 04:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I tow my truck on occasion on a car dolley. All I do is pull the tranny into neutral. I think the reason you would pull the drive shaft would be if it were an automatic, because the wheels would be forcing the tranny to turn but the pump would not be running. Also I am not sure why but when are towing an automatic you need to put the t-case in nuetral.

Are these new motors they were putting in? I would also wonder about the previous owners maintaince schuedle. I actually know a guy who ran is 2.5 for 2 years with out an oil change untill it finially seized up on him.
Good Luck

Nick
[email protected]
83' s10 extended cab 4x4 supercharged 2.8l v6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 07:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

what a coincidence, i was just surfing around the BBS and decided to stop in, cause i always liked the look of a lifted s10, anyway, I have a friend that has,i believe, and 86 fuel injected 2.8, truck ran great untill 130k and the engine just died, he put in a new one and the [censored] who installed it installed the fuel pump wrong, needless to say he was out another engine, so on his 3rd engine he got about 5k and something went wierd, come to find out after 9 hours of labor ($390) that it was a bolt on the fuel pump that broke and cost $4 to replace. THing is he caught it the day it happened and only drove the truck the mile to the shop to check it out, so it did not ruin his engine. anyway from what i have found, this engine sounds to be pretty shabby! just my 2 cents, if you want to know more e-mail me and i will ask him questions fo you.

Doug

"If the devil is 6, then god is 7, this monkey's gone to heaven!"
93 Hardbody (4x4 with a street truck look)
93 Maxima (new paint job, getting sexier...)
69 VW Beetle (gotta respect it)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 07:24 PM

UH?
The fuel pump damaged the engine??? that's especially interesting, considering the fuel pump is in the gas tank[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]??????

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 07:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

sorry i ment oil pump!

"If the devil is 6, then god is 7, this monkey's gone to heaven!"
93 Hardbody (4x4 with a street truck look)
93 Maxima (new paint job, getting sexier...)
69 VW Beetle (gotta respect it)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 08:11 PM

On the older 2.8L engines with a mechanical fuel pump it (the pump) can kill the engine if the diaphragm ruptures a little and puts a shot of gasoline in the oil each time the pump cycles, especially if you don't check/change the oil often enough (or check it often to catch the tell tale gasoline smell)...

A plus for the 60 V-6 line that GM uses, is that a 3.4L out of a Camaro or Firebird can be swapped in using the same tranny and other parts, it's said... And the 3.4 is said to make about the same horsey power as the 4.3L, although a little less torque... So if the tranny and other parts are ok that might be an option for you to look into, it'll have more power with a lot less $$$ than a V-8 swap...

Incidentally everything I've heard, the 1987 model year was the absolute first year for the fuel injection on an S 10 powered by the 2.8L... Maybe the year after that, but I'd say not before it...

I certainly wouldn't cite the incompetence of the mechanic/rebuilder or whoever worked on the engine in a claim that the engine is junk, it's not the engine's fault if someone screws it up... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist
My August article on ORC

http://www.off-road.com/land
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 09:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tim, I'm pertty sure that '86 was the first year for TBI 2.8's. I know somebody that has fuel injected 2.8 in his '86.

Just about every one a talked to has gotten 150k out of their 2.8. At 137k mine uses less than a quart every 3000.

Taking my weekly walk though the junk yards, I find that good 2.8's and 3.1's are as common as mullets at Ozzfest. 3.4's are harder to come by though. I've been qouted between $400 for a high milage one and $600 for a low milage one.

A 3.4 has been on my list for a year now, but it's always something. Ahhh, I'm fed up with my vehicles at the moment.

Hit? Them tires rub. Rubbin's off roadin.
My web page
http://www.personal.psu.edu/bjh182
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 09:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Or....since you already have 2 s10's, buy it and make a trail truck!

Think about a 350/350, 205 or 203, full width 3/4 ton axles, hacked fenders and some 35's. Nothing is better than a total beater that you don't have to drive to work after a weekend of insane wheeling.

Hit? Them tires rub. Rubbin's off roadin.
My web page
http://www.personal.psu.edu/bjh182
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 10:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Wow! You read my mind. My thoughts exactly. I do owe my sister a vehicle though. Are 3.1s any more powerful than a 2.8? The junkyard I go to has many carbed 2.8s but I've heard that the 2.8EFI/3.1EFIs were a little beefier internally. If I could get it to bolt up, the yard has a 3.8L SEFI turbo out of an 87 Grand National, complete with intercooler! From what I've seen, everyone who owned this truck ran the hell out of it, so it'll probably need a clutch and a few other things as well. I think they bought it thinking they could tow a 2 horse trailer with 2 horses in it! HA! Maybe downhill. They had to tow it back to their house with their 4cyl Trooper!(A real dog!) Oh well, live and learn. If they do sell it to me, I'll probably swap beds with mine, and doors, and put my grille on it. For engines, not sure yet, 3.4s are pretty rare, maybe a 3.1 with TBI from a 2.8, Centerforce clutch, The yard also has IFS&rear with 3.73s! If I get it, I let y'all know. Thanks everyone.
A.S.
1989 S10 4x4 355
1989 S Blazer 4x4 4.3

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode