Possible Info on HD Torsions from Dealer - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2000, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Possible Info on HD Torsions from Dealer

I called Joe MacPherson Chevy in Irvine, CA, and asked for information on heavy-duty torsion bars for my 1998 S-10 pickup.

While they don't have a listing for "heavy-duty" torsion bars, they do have bars based on weight. The range goes from 1404 lbs to 2535 lbs.

What he needed for my particular application was the last eight characters from my VIN number.

Hope this helps other people looking for torsions!

If you feel like calling Joe MacPherson Chevy their number is (949) 768-7222 (main number)

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

http://members.xoom.com/desertride/index.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2000, 01:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Possible Info on HD Torsions from Dealer

JR, those are the bars I showed you in my garage I can dig up the numbers on them.. The indexer is still hex shaped so you are limited in the torsional load unlike the SAW's.. And the bars are about 350mm thick (really not sure) but I had to get kidey transplats after froading for a day.. The SAW's are a much better ride.. The GM ones i have are the mediums.. I would hate to feel their HD's.. Probably just instructions on welding your a-arm solid..[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

-Troy [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]'<font color=red>WeaZle</font color=red>'[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] McCarty
http://www.TBRS.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2000, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Hey, I'm going to be in the market for bars like that very soon. New job and all. Probably by November!

I'll let you know if you're still getting rid of them.

I think, though, that Chevy doesn't offer HD T-bars, but only weight ratings. Heavy would be the top weight rating.

Has it been confirmed that SAW is making those torsions again? I know they were supposed to but heard that they dropped the idea. I would like the idea of splined T-bars instead of hexed, tho.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2000, 04:30 PM
Addict

I called SAW not even a month ago and they said they would no longer make them. I still have the e-mail. They said they were specifically designed for offroad and too many people were using them on the street. SO does that mean they will break on the street? Or did they cause terrible handling characteristics or what? They WILL NOT make any more. Besides the S-series are changing in 2002 & 2003 anyway so it's going to be harder and harder to get GOOD stuff. Not like the aftermarket ever did us any favors anyway.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2000, 06:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

These SAW bars ride verry nice.. No handling probs on or off road.. I had the >2100 lb bars from GM.. Now those are the bad ride.. Made to hold a plow I guess..

-Troy [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]'<font color=red>WeaZle</font color=red>'[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] McCarty
http://www.TBRS.com
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2000, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

It's amazing we're complaining at all! My Toyota has 23 mm torsion bars STOCK. You could upgrade to 26 mm or the SAW 300M true 30MM bars (mostly for racing).

The good thing is the 26mm bars kept me from bottoming out. That's what I'm looking forward to. Good T-bars combined with REALLY good shocks.

And I'm trying to figure out how to gusset up the frame horns on the front.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2000, 11:16 AM
Addict

Possible I can retrieve the numbers off the left and right bars from my ZR2 Blazer if I can still read them. You can look that up for the heck of it if you want to. The more we all know is the less hot air we blow, LOL
Tom

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2000, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

That actually might be a good idea.

What I am really wondering is this:
1.) are the bars longer or shorter than the "regular" s-10?
2.) are they, by default, heaver-duty than the stock T-bars?

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2000, 11:55 AM
Addict

Okay, I'll go measure the length today and tell you how I got it, "from where to where" and as for the heavy duty part, you'll have to get with GM on that about the lb rating. Someone already said they are rated in so many lbs not heavy, light, or medium duty. And I'll try to do a diameter check on them vs my stock truck bars too. Tom

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2000, 10:17 PM
Addict

Here we go J.R. The ZR2 Blazer bars are on the left, part # LWK 15956509 & right RWK 15956510. Here's how I measured the length: I butted the tape against the torsion bar adjuster in the back and measured to the lower A arm & got 47.5" & they are about 1.3/16- 1.25 in diameter. The right one could only be turned about 4 turns to top out and the left, well, I didn't turn it because it had a long way to go before being ran all the way up. I guess the right side of the Blazer is a lot heavier than the left. The only real difference is the Cat converter and exhaust is on the right. The gas tank is centered in the rear and the driveshaft and stuff is on the left. Seems like that would be the heavy side instead. I took a measurement and found I could only get another 3/4- 7/8 lift all the way up. I still had travel and wasn't topped out against the upper A arm though. My measurement with the Tbar ran up as high as it would go was 38.50 to the upper fenderwell opening. Man, ran up like that I can fit a 33x12.50 on a 10" rim without trimming at all. I have done all the calcuations from the rotor. A 9 or 10" rim with a stock 5.5 rear backspacing will only put the front tread out from under the flare about 3/4". I can live with that because the rear will be under all the way. And a 35" is no wider either and that's my goal. I'm probably going with the new MT's from Goodyear. A 35x12.50 is only 34.4 tall on a 10" rim. In magazines they look good, but when you put your hands on one in person, D*** they look good. The tread grooves are as wide as a TSL and will never pick up a rock. Plus the 3.73's will only loose about 200 RPM too. By the way you can get a 33x12.50 for $156.96 & a 35x12.50 for $167.96 from Wal-mart too. I beat Goodyears price by over $30 a tire there. I've been looking for a 34" tire instead of a full 35" tire because people with ZR2's have been putting 33's on their trucks with a little trimming and I knew a 34" 35x12.50 would fit great with the R&R A arm kit and springover. I could get the BFG 35x12.50 at Sears for $149.99 ea though. But that's less than $90 more for a set of 5 for the Goodyears and I think they will be awesome and not what every other truck is running on the road too. I have not read any bad reviews whatsoever about them, they just kick A** all the way.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode