Need Help on Pulling Auto Tranny - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2000, 01:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Need Help on Pulling Auto Tranny

I have to pull the tranny in order to replace the rear seal on the motor. I was wondering if anyone had pulled thier Automatic transmission, And what problems that they had incurred. Thanks

NM4wheeler
'91 S10 Blazer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2000, 09:47 AM

Re: Need Help on Pulling Auto Tranny

i have done this procedure a few times, some advice...when you have the tranny pulled, replaced all seals that you would have to pull the tranny to replace...so if you are replaceing the rear main on the motor, replace the front seal on the tranny.... anyhow, realitively simple (a body lift helps a lot), take out your rear drive shaft...take off your transmission crossmember....if you are not completely taking off your tranny, just sliding it back, you can leave the transfer case on (someone check me on this)....take off your inspection plate....the fun part is getting the bell housing bolts out, need a lot of extensions, and an air impact wrench helps.... a good manual, like haines, will go thru the whole process pretty well, that is what i used....
good luck, changing the rear main is a pain....i found out that i had an 85 4.3L (thought it was an 86) and i didn't actually have to pull the tranny, "just" remove the oil pan....but that is a different story.
hope this helps a little

Craig

'89 S-10 4.3L 31" Yoko M/Ts
'88 Kawasaki Mojave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode