Power up 96 4.3L Vortek - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2000, 05:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Power up 96 4.3L Vortek

Looking to boost my Blazer. I've dropped a K n' N in airbox, the rest is stock.
I get mixed reviews from people. Some say...don't touch, this engine doesn't like change. Others, suggest the whole 9-yards. Some say, use 87 octane...others say 92 or better.
I'm new at this performance stuff and don't really know where to start. All I know is that it'll cost me some money and I don't want to waste it on gizmos that will harm my engine.

Help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2000, 06:13 PM

Re: Power up 96 4.3L Vortek

You need to use the octane of fuel that lets the engine run but not ping or detonate/spark knock. If it runs without ping with 87 octane there's no reason to switch... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

There might be a restriction in the airbox system, you can pull it out and look at it, see if there are any baffles inside it, if there are, you can remove them to let more air through it, be careful not to mess with sensors...

Things like the Tornado or other things that make air in the intake turbulent are actually hindering you since smoothly flowing air can theoretically carry more fuel than turbulent air, and smoothly flowing air would seem to flow faster.

Any gimmick talking about magnets and fuel lines is worthless and should be ignored...

Other than that I can't add any personal experience with this engine, as I don't have one of them... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist
My August article on ORC

http://www.off-road.com/land
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2000, 06:19 PM

A cat-back exhaust would help your performance, give you better mileage, be nice to your engine, and would compliment your new K&N air supply!
Your engine can only take it in, as fast as it can put it out, and visa-versa. So you really have not yet gotten the full benefit of your K&N, until you also open up the other end.
If it doesn't cause it to knock or ping (which I doubt it would) I would just run the 87 octane!, the 92 octane will probably be unnoticeable (except to your wallet[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]).
Does your truck have a tranny cooler? If not, this would also be a good, inexpensive, investment into your drivetrain!

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2000, 06:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Here are some mods I ahve done and found improvement from.. Swiss cheese your airbox.. Meaning drill about 15 or so 1/2" holes in the FRONT of your airbox to allow more air to the engine.. Find the intake hole and make it bigger... Next is headers.. JBA makes the best.. Followed up by exhaust.. Get any muffler you like the sound of.. Don't bother with cat back kits.. They are a waste of money.. Get a competent muffler shop to make you one.. Next would be quality plugs (gimick plugs are a waste of money, go NGK), wires(seeld 8mm), hot coil(Jacobs,Mallory,MSD, Holly), cap and rotor(Accel).. Little things do make a difference when all added up.. Underdrive power pullies add a few..
Don't be fooled like I has for so long.. Don't throw away your money on 92 octane.. Our engines are made to run on 87 read your manual.. If your engine is knocking then go to the next higher level.. About every 5th tank run a cleaner.. If you have larger than stock tires then gearing is the only thing that will bring the power back..
If ya want to go all out in performance and not afraid to spend money then go with a Whipple charger.. Now your talking upgrade!!!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

-Troy [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]'<font color=red>WeaZle</font color=red>'[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] McCarty
http://www.TBRS.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2000, 09:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

don't forget a set of 4.11s and a Power Programmer if you're going all out. I would suggest a Jacobs Omni-Pack ignition along with headers and a freer flowing exhaust to start with, that should get you at least 15-20HP and some MPG too. Try Internetracerssupply.com for great perf. upgrades. Diver really knows this stuff, so listen to his reply, and he knows where to get it cheapest.
A.S.
1989 S10 4x4 355

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2000, 11:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Diver, if you dont wanna go through the whole thing again, I have one of your performance posts that covers everything saved on my computer. Let me know if you just want me to post that one.

Ryan

-I shoulda been a cowboy-
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2000, 02:38 PM
Addict

Ryan, post it all, thanks for saving that mail. I guess I've done almost all you can do except for the gears, exhaust(which is coming $$$) and of course the 1.6 roller rockers soon I hope. By the way these mods were around $1300 and you can get a Powerdyne Supercharger good for 90-100 HP for $2300 @ Namotorsports.com. I figure I'll top out at $1700 when I'm through with around 75 HP. The Supercharger can be done in 4 hours too. After I get my 2001 ZR2 pickup and the Supercharger on it, I'll let you know the diff between the Blazer and the Pickup. Looking at the end of next summer on all this. But it will be detail like weight, hp, gas mileage, performance and all. This will blow the whole thing wide open and be the 1st study of it's kind as far as I know. And it will be FUN for me owning 2 ZR2 vehicles too. Tom

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2000, 04:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Here ya go...You LATE MODEL guys are GONNA'love this. JBA Headers has nickel plated lifetime warranty headers for 4WD S-10's & ZR2's IN STOCK. I got E-mail back from Headman, Edelbrock, Flowmaster, Hooker, Jet Hot, & on. NO ONE has headers for any late models yet and they said if you try to buy them from older years & install them they won't fit! The reason being for late models especially ZR2's with a the stock factory suspension lift the steering column is so close to the exhaust & the geometry to the steering box through the firewall like your body lifts & suspension lifts do, go out & look at your truck! Yes they did bring New trucks to the JBA Shop including ZR2's & do test fitting after customer complaints. This is when they developed the 1842-3 special for 4WD Apps. Also, some of the new trucks have emission controls on the front of the tubes as well as the AIr Inj tube on the back of the drivers side. They redesigned the Headers recently for 4WD applications & ZR2 because the steering column has to go through the number two header tube. You have to run the steering column through the headers. The redesign takes care of a body lift & suspension lift for late models so the column won't rub #2 tube. The 4WD part # is JBA-1842-3 "redesigned one", JBA-1842-5 for 99 with only the Air inj system I guess the California emission tubes that are added to the front of the exhaust, & JBA-1842-4 for 96-98. If you have a 99-2000 with those extra emission stuff added, 4WD including you lifted it or ZR2 on it, just call & they will whip out a set just special for you at no addition charge. The sugg retail for them is $399. Alex at JBA Headers Tech Support is at 1-800-830-3377. He said that the Internet Racers supply is one of their best distributors. All these quotes below are from them. They kicked Jeg's, Summit, 4 Wheel Parts Wholesalers, & Sears, JC Whitneys prices by $100's on this stuff. $120 off just on the headers. $40 on the programmer, $30 pulley's, $52 on the K&N, you get the idea. The internet racers supply company is in Houston, TX! Anything you order from them is a $7.50 handling charge free shipping & NO TAXes. Order one thing or $2000 worth of boxes of stuff & one time handling for one order of $7.50 only. Have half you truck sent to you on one order for $7.50 LOL
Every single thing I priced kicked Summit's butt on price comparison as well as other mail order places I have talked to.
Now go read about those headers at JBAracing.com because they are a VERY high performance patented collector design, not to mention LIFETIME WARRANTY Nickel Plated! They flow up to 30& over factory manifolds, no one else makes that claim. That's huge power! You remember the Gold Exibition Xtreme Force prototype from GM at the SEMA show? The S-10 V6 that got over 450HP, it had JBA Headers on it. No Rust no Painting, ect. Now the price from Internet Racers supply is $279.95. Edelbrock & the others will get you close to that price, at least $200 for older models with no plating or lifetime warranty & they don't have them for the new trucks anyway!
Now as I promised, K&N Generation II for 96-2000 Part # 57-3017 for $234.95. In two weeks K&N will release a cat back lifetime warranty stainless steel better flowing exhaust with dyno numbers for a suggested retail of $690. It will be less everywhere else than directly from them. But if you buy or have bought already the K&N Gen II get those receipts together for a $25 rebate dierct from K&N if you buy the exhaust. It will out flow flowmaster & all the rest. Next we have a 3 pulley power pully set from JET part # 90105 from JET direct $119, int racers supply 89.99. That's a 3 pulley system. A 2 pulley from March is $80 from Summit And Hypertech Pulleys are $129 for 2 pulleys. Now we move on to ANY Hypertech even the III programmer from int racers supply for $299.95 from Summit $ 339.99. The programmer part# is HY390202 for 99's, they said they thought it was the same for 2000 & are going to check it out. The Thermostat from JET to go with the programmer part # is 10171. I am still looking for a performance acessories # 152 from someone other than Summit, they want $166 for a 2" body lift ? Can anyone tell me where I can get a good deal?
Now all you guys know that if you use the pulleys, buy the programmer, K&N, Headers, Thermostat, all from www.racenet.net or call 1-888-469-7223 it would cost you only the $7.50 handling charge. This is all good for 75-100HP for a total of $925.33. Now, if your still talking MSD or Jacobs to complete your setup that from Summit for $373 plus S&H. That puts all you mods up to $1305.33. And these are real time quotes for up to 99 4.3's. A total HP gain for 75-100HP. Brings us from 190 for me & 180 for the regular S-10's to 265-290HP. But we are still talking high flow cat back system. Several hundred dollars.
Now for the kicker, I have been on the Vortec supercharger site. For S-10's all 4GD218-050SQ "sq qtands for super quiet" for sugg retail for $3628. Resalers are a lot less, around $2800-3100. Real world dyno results & I saw this on their site & Horsepower TV, they put one on an S-10 & dynoed it on the ground at the rear wheels for 190HP x32% for a 60.8 HP gain over stock for a total of 250.8HP. No headers, no nothing at all! Included in their supercharger kit are a crane Fireball Hi-6TR ignition, K&N complete kit, high volume fuel pump, rated at 8lbs boost on regular gas zip ties, brackets & on & on COMPLETE KIT. All the HiPo extras are included. The base 5.7 Vortec in fullsized trucks is 250HP on the nose & 359HP Supercharged like the 300HP supercharged full-size truck 150 Ford Lighting. So, you have the power of a full size truck & 250 less lbs on the front end! Better mileage & low end torque than dropping a small block in & the front end will handle it. If you install say a computer & all complete used out of a wrecked Z-71 you'll have $3000-$4000 invested for a 250HP stock motor TPI or other motor, computer, ect. Plus for the stuff to change it out, radiator, motor mounts, fans, ect. Now to dollars & cents. If you figure the cheapest place I found this stuff will run you over $1300 plus you'll be starving for more & add an electric fan sooner or later for more HP $200 for $1500. Now for your $1500 in MODS for that 75HP increase you have a total of 265. With the Vortec stock V6 is 240 HP with 304 torque gain. If you subtract the $1500 for all those MODS you would have nickeled & dimed you along the way from the cost of the Vortec you end up spending $1300-$1500 for the supercharger. Also, it's 50 state street leagal, 3yr Warranty, & doesn't void your factory warranty like all that other stuff. I saw this thing on TV & with 265 or 285's on the rear of that Extreme truck it boiled & smoked 'em for on & on. I saw the V-8 swap they did & it was about the same. But with the V8 swap you are going through wiring, radiator, oil pan, motor mount hell, exhaust hell, not to mention surprises. And when you want to trade that truck in, remove the vortec or leave it for a huge trade in value & or put it on the new truck. That Lightening Special Edition truck from Ford with the 5.4 & Vortec supercharger from the factory conversions is only 322HP. I watch Motor Trend Trucks on Sundays. If you do all that other stuff, ya' know it's too much to change back, so you let got of $1500 of parts & spend all that again on the next new truck. FOOD FOR THOUGHT. And if you wanted you could add the headers, cat back exhaust, programmer, electric fans, "NO POWER PULLEYS" & tweaks to your truck. That would give you another 50-60 HP for a fire breathing V6 of over 300HP. Vortec says if you change camshafts from stock it will soar in power & torque even with everything else remaining stock. When I talked to JBA Headers today, they said the VORTEC V6 needs a 2.5" exhaust for backpressure even with headers for a 4WD application. They do a LOT of testing. Found out with their headers, that you change the stock Y pipe & custom your exhaust like Edelbrock you are killing the low end torque & won't be able to pass a California & some big city emmisions test.
They are happy in their tech dept to answer questions from anyone concerning this stuff. Also, on a website I saw a 88 or so Blazer with a BDS supercharger on top through the hood like my Camero was. Sure enough it's in my BDS book for $2364-2569 for the higher output. But on a roots Blower you have to put forged pistons for over 3-5 Lbs boost on a stock 9-1 compression. That makes your final compression at 12-1. The design of the Vortec is 8lbs boost for huge low end torque & will not ruin the bottom end of a stock V6. With the roots you have to put in a new Throttle body or carburetor & pulleys & on & on. Nightmare! Plus a hole in your hood, been there done that. E-mail me you late model guys & anyone else that needs part numbers or such. And if you bought some of these items cheaper please post 'em in a reply for how much you got it & where it was, Tom

Ryan

-I shoulda been a cowboy-
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2000, 04:58 PM

That has got to be the longest post I have ever seen![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
(Don't you wish it was a girl saying that[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img])

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode