rebuilding a 4.3 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 08:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

rebuilding a 4.3

hey guys,
I'm rebuilding my 4.3 in my s-10. Now I want to bore it over some for performance, how large can i go. Some people tell me .060 over is fine but others tell to go to .070 then some tell me not to go more than .030 over. Im looking to get about 300hp from this with out a blower but i may go with one if i have to. Any suggestions guys. thanks

MudderS10s
91 s-10, 4.3L, 5 speed, 3 inch bodylift, 32" super swapper TSLs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 12:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: rebuilding a 4.3

I've never heard of anyone boring a 4.3 more then 0.030 over! I sincerely hope you're not getting those 300HP from a stock EFI. Cause it won't work. My freind and I tried it on his '90 Silverado 4x4. He swapped in a 300HP crate motor and tried running the stock TBI, then Hi-Flo injectors, then a 454 TBI and it still wouldn't flow enough. BTW the stock engine was a 350 TBI. Super Chevy Mag. did a writeup on the subject soon after saying that a carb or multiport was the only real solution. He opted for a 750 CFM Holley and it really showed all 300HP then, the 5 speed didn't survive long though! Just my $.02 cents.
A.S.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 12:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Every .030 over you go only yields approx. 4 cubic inches. In other words, over boring really doesn't do much except clean up the cylinder walls. Just go with .030 over.
I'm not sure how you are going to get 300hp out of a streetable (I should say trailable) 4.3. You are getting into a lot of headaches with that kind of power.

Hit? Them tires rub. Rubbin's off roadin.
My web page
http://www.personal.psu.edu/bjh182
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2000, 02:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

if you want that much powere it is cheaper to build a 350 158$ for everything you need pistons and all out of Northern Auto Parts. But you dont need horsies of you are goin on the trail just go .030 over and get yourself a tourque master cam and mabey even a set of headers and put your money into something else

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2000, 10:39 AM
Addict

Looks like you got a 91? Well, it's a prebalance shaft motor right? 30 over, all new everything inside with a blower cam made for a 4x4 from CompCams, then a Powerdyne supercharger for $2299. Instant low end HP and no lag. I've built my V6 and am not through yet and have at least $1400 in it and will have at least $1700 when I'm through. I'm going with the Powerdyne on the 2001 ZR2 Truck I'm buying soon. In the long run I'll have about 35 more HP with the Powerdyne and a lot less headaches too. Very dependable 300 HP without the added weight of a V8 too. You'll have to do some serious work on the tranny and th rear end as well to handle the Extra HP. Ask Blazin to send you the e-mail I sent him on a 350 or built V6 and a SFA swap for his 88. It's really the only way to go at all. Tom

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2000, 07:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks diver,
i plan on building up the rear end and the front end. Im using a dana 44 in the rear and a custom dana 44 in the front, both with ARBs and 4.56 gears. Can you email me some info on what im going need for this build up at [email protected]. Thanks for your help!

MudderS10s
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2000, 11:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

MudderS10s... What front D-44 did you get? What donar was it from? Any info on how your going to hang it?? Im thinking of this same SFA mod on my 94.. In fact I already have the rear D-44 in the garage waiting for gears and ARB and disks = $$$$.. But waiting for my decision if im doing the front at the same time.. What tire size are you going to run with the 4.56's?? How much lift are you looking at..

-Troy [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]'<font color=red>WeaZle</font color=red>'[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] McCarty
http://www.TBRS.com
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2000, 04:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hey weazle,
I have the D44 ordered, i can find out from where, and then cut down. It came with drums but that will change soon to discs and then ARBs and 4.56s. The whole setup cost around 6,000 new. Im going to go with 33's for street and hopefully 35s for the trail, we have height limits in MA.
Then im going with a blower for the V6. Hope that helps.

MudderS10s
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2000, 05:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Are you telling me 6 G's for the front!!!!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] That better be the whole damn package front and rear, installed.. I low budgeting my setup and got the rear D-44 for $300 new.. Disks will be $300.. ARB I found for $550, and gears for $120.. Selling the big drums and the traclock & 3.45 gears for $220 to a guy to make back some of the money.. Call http://www.dynatrac.com/ and they can build you a front for $2500 with ARB, disks, and hardend axles.. Least thats what I got quoted about 6 months ago.. Any info on how your going to hang that front axle??

-Troy [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]'<font color=red>WeaZle</font color=red>'[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] McCarty
http://www.TBRS.com
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2000, 06:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sorry for the confusion. Yes 6,000 for everything. Custom shackles and national leaf pack. Custom drop pitman arm with a jeep steering box.hope that clears things up.

MudderS10s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode