camper tops - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 10:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

camper tops

what are yall's thoughts on camper tops? i am constantly having to tie down wet lifejackets, and other objects that can be affected by the wind at highway speeds, that i do not want in the cab. i am looking at a leer top for my truck (2000 s10). here is the link http://leer.com/GM.gif/gm100le.gif. i was wondering if anyone had an idea of how much these things cost and how hard they are to get on and off (if i need to haul something big). does anyone else see any other advantages or disadvantages to camper tops?

thanks for the input

Jonathan Rogers
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 02:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: camper tops

Thats exactly what I was just thinking about.I was thinking about ditching the roll bar and putting a camper on.
If I did this I would have a carpet kit installed with hide away cubbords on the sides.My dad had a gmc seirria
late 80 model extended cab and had a camper on it with the carpet kit.Kick A$$!!! It was held on with spring
loaded bolt like clamps. Was very easy to remove and put back on but I don't know about these days.Not to sure
about the prices either.I'd say go for it!! If its not to much $$$$$.

LIL ZILLA SAYS HAPPY TRAILS!!!!!!!!

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 10:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

have you considered a tonneu cover? I think they look a lot better than caps do. I have a black vinyl tonneu on mine and i can take it off in a few minutes, by myself with no tools. With a cap (at least my dads) you need wrenches to loosen the clamps, and 2 people to lift it off. When I get a new truck, I am considering getting one of those retracting tonneu covers that is lockable and rolls itself up when you need to haul something large. Just a thought

The Duke

I'm old enough to know better, but still too young to care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 11:08 AM

I have a bed cap on mine. I've been considering putting on a tonneau cover for three main reasons:
One, when I want to carry something that won't fit inside the cap 'cause it's too wide of tall, I have to take the cap off & that's not easy for one person to do by themselves. I've done it but only with someone watching how it was sliding on(so it didn't fall off) and it scratched the paint pretty badly that way as well.
Another reason is the visibility issue. I've had a few times where I've been trying to change lanes and someone has been hiding in my blind spot. You can guess at the result. Haven't had an accident though.
The third reason has to be the "cool" factor. A truck just doesn't seem to look right with a bed cap. Besides, how do you fit a rollbar/lightbar around a bed cap.

--Drew
83 S10 4x2
Go <font color=red>Ca</font color=red><font color=white>na</font color=white><font color=red>da</font color=red>!
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 11:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

This is the one I have been looking at for a long time.. The MX series from ARE http://www.4are.com/ and a company Guideon (SP?) makes em too.. Advantage is its higher than the roof line.. The walk in door for easy access.. The hole back end pops up for really easy access.. And this is one cap that looks really good and people will ask questions about.. Still saving my pennies for one.. Any one want to buy my pre runn roll bar??

-Troy [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]'<font color=red>WeaZle</font color=red>'[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] McCarty
http://www.TBRS.com
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2000, 11:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i have an aluminum topper on mine and wouldn't go with out. It weights about 45lbs and
takes one person less than 5min to take off. It is a "high" topper(cab level in front and rises about 6"
two feet back with a large back door) if I take the mirrors of my bike I can drive it up the
ramps right in also has ladder racks that hold my canoe very well, I also have brackets made
to mount lights on the topper(same place they would be w/roll bar).

The only thing I don't like is the windows on the sides are camper windows and only open 6-7"
I would highly reccomend getting "contractor" windows(open all the way) I picked some up from
the boneyard for five bucks just need to put them in.

I had a tonou on my toy and had to take it off every time I wanted to haul anything over 16" high
(also no place to put the canoe) I even put 8- 12ft 4x4 posts on the racks, nothing hanging 6ft
out the back of the truck.

HAWG WILD
<font color=purple> ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE NOT NECESSARLY LOST </font color=purple> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode