Installing a tachometer...need a bit of help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2000, 01:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Installing a tachometer...need a bit of help

Hi guys, well I did it. I cleaned out my truck & guess what I found under the piles of junk.....Yep, that's right, a tach that I had bought last year. I must have never gotten around to the installment, and it got tossed behind the seats and covered with junk. The only problem I have is that I have no instructions anymore, so that's where you guys come into play. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I bought this thing from "Hastings" the part # is TA1819. It's a 2-5/8" 0-8000 RPM type. So what I need to know is, how do I hook this baby up?
I have 4 wires. RED, GREEN, BLACK, WHITE.
I figure red is power, black is ground and that's where I have to stop. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
If anyone could help me out on this, It'd be great.

Thanks

Baja

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2000, 01:51 PM

Re: Installing a tachometer...need a bit of help

If it's anything like the Sun Supertach II I bought, the black is ground, red is positive, white is for the light in it so you can see it at night (should splice in somewhere on the power supply for the rest of the dash lights), and green splices into the trigger wire from the ignition module...

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist
My August article on ORC

http://www.off-road.com/land
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2000, 02:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thank's sandman, but I still need a bit of help. I had it till you got to the "trigger wire" where do I find that? (sorry about my lack of knowledge..)
Do you know what colour it is & where might one find a ignition module on a 96 sonoma?

Again, thanks for the info [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Baja

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2000, 02:41 PM

I don't konw the newer ones and can't really say what color it is or where exactly to find them... It should be a wire that goes from the ignition module to the coil... I'm sure someone with a truck closer to the year you have will be able to fill in the specifics about where to find it and how to splice it... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] When I did a tach on my older one I didn't have to worry about the computer and all that stuff (carbed)... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist
My August article on ORC

http://www.off-road.com/land
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2000, 02:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Okeedoke, I'll see if I can't find the damn wire. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] It's hard enough finding a place to go through the firewall! Then the next thing is...where am I gonna mount this thing!?
I'll post my results,

thanks for the info!

BAJA

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2000, 05:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey baja, I have a 97 so it should be close.I used to have my tach hooked up now that I bought the
MSD Off Road 6 unit I have it hooked up to the MSD. But the wires your looking for are on your coil,
on the left side of the carb.There should be 3 wires into a plug in.Now I can't remember which one
exactly but one of these ,White with a black stipe, White , Pink. One of these should hook you up.
Use the Green wire from the tach for this.White wire is to the dash lights, Red wire is to a positve
source, Black is to a ground. If none of this works E-mail Auto Meter and they will help you.Thats
what I did. Good Luck!

LIL ZILLA SAYS HAPPY TRAILS!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode