S10 engine swap question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 12:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

S10 engine swap question

87 S-10 with a 2.5 liter and 700R4 trans. Will installing a 305 require changing the transmission as well? Different bolt patterns?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2000, 07:26 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: S10 engine swap question

YES

You need a thneed
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2000, 07:36 PM
Keyboard Implanted

There is a lot more than just droping the 305 in, as the v8 is longer it's better to move the trans crossmember back one hole in the frame shorten the drive shaft then have a raidator made to fit INSIDE the grill support.
I think the trans will bolt to the motor, but check with a wrecking yard that has an interchange book.
Dont go with a 305 when a 350 is better!! Does it have to pass a smog test??? if yes then get the engine,trans and the compture from a donor car or truck.
I hope I kinda helped?

You need a thneed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2000, 07:46 PM

And then we're forgetting totally about the differentials (front is the worst), and the CV shafts... With the power of a V8 that 7.2" ring gear won't hold up all that long, and the 7.5" ring gear in the rear diffy will be next in line to go boom... Unless you don't bother to use the throttle at all... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist
My August article on ORC

http://www.off-road.com/land
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2000, 11:27 PM
Addict

How many miles does the 700R4 have on it? Yes it will bolt to a small block, however the Guys are right. The rear end won't last either. Need more info. What do you plan to accomplish and how much money is in your budget? Are you looking for a barn burner? Then you need at least a 12 Bolt Salisbury unit from GM from a Chevy II Nova or Camero to keep the same bolt pattern & width. You can run a bone stock 700R4 with a shift kit for a while as long as it is in GREAT SHAPE up to about 350 ponies. If you build the 350 ANY at all you need an aftermarket tranny from B&M or ATI or the boys. Then it will be good for up to 450HP. The problem with the OD trannys is the sprag, pump, & 3-4 clutch packs. Jet builds an awesome trans that is at the newstand in a MAG I saw the other day. They add extra clutches, Corvette servos for the 1-2 & 3-4 packs and other stuff. I'm primarily a Drag Racer and just started the 4WD thing 4 years ago. That's why my 99 ZR2 Blazer runs like a BAT and gets 19 MPG. I have links for 300-350 HP GM motors 4bolt mains & stuff for under $2500 complete. As the boys said earlier, if you need to stay emission hassel free, get a complete donor set up from a late model to include the compter and then a rearend. If you can fool around then I have ALL the answers you need. If I were you and very serious then spend about $16 and get the JTR swap book. It will have all you need to know in it from motor mounts, headers, radiators, & all you will need. You can buy an awesome new on the market radiator from BeCool and this IS the radiator for a swap. They different levels of them and have them to cover you up to about 1000 HP and are a direct fit made for S-10's too for around $300. If you really want to do this right and not throw together something that will break all the time then get with me after you buy that book and really decide what you want. You can easily build something that will blow the doors off Mustangs, Cameros, and so on. IHRA just announced a new Drag Racing class for the guys that are on a tight Budget for Trucks for next year that is called run what you bring. I WILL go to some of them. I have a Nat'l Dragster Mag here where I went to the Penzoil Nat'ls 2 years ago and saw the 1st ever ProStock truck NHRA class run at Houston. I have pics and video too. Tom

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2000, 11:03 AM
Addict

My have been wrong about the bolt up pattern. As they said go to a swap book for sure. I read something yesterday on the ArtCarr.com racing tranny site about adapters to mate 350's to 700R4 trannys. Seems maybe the internals are the same, but the bell housing for a 4 banger & V6-V8 tranny may be different.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2000, 11:43 PM

it was my understanding that the auto's behind the 2.5/2.8 had different bolt patterns' than the tranny's behind the 4.3 / V-8's right/wrong???

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 12:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes you will need to change your trans. The 2.8 is a 60 degree engine and the 4.3 and the v8 are 90 degree engines, and the bell housings are different. Is your s10 a 4x4 or 2wd ?

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 03:08 AM
Addict

Yea, if you read the whole thread you'll see I overlooked that it was a 4 banger on my 1st post. They are different. But, you can buy an adapter. Tom

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 10:46 AM

Unless you don't bother to use the throttle at all...
<hr>
And who's going to do that?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

--Drew
83 S10 4x2
Go <font color=red>Ca</font color=red><font color=white>na</font color=white><font color=red>da</font color=red>!
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode