Please read this guys and forward - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Addict

Please read this guys and forward

PLEASE READ THIS AND COMPLY---Tom Brantley
Subject: Bill 602P

I'm passing this on because I believe something's should STAY FREE and enough is enough! Let your Representative and Congressman know how you feel. That's it, we can either let them know or PAY! VOTE NO ON Bill 602P!!!! I guess the warnings were true. Federal Bill 602P 5-cents per
E-mail Sent. It figures! No more free E-mail! We knew this was coming!! Bill 602P will permit the Federal Government to charge a 5-cent charge on every delivered E-mail. Please read the following carefully if you intend to stay online, and continue using E-mail. The last few months have revealed an alarming trend in the Government of the United States attempting to quietly push through legislation that will affect our use of the Internet. Under proposed legislation, the US Postal Service will be attempting to bill E-mail users out of "alternative postage fees". Bill 602P will permit the Federal Government to charge a 5-cent surcharge on every E-mail delivered, by billing Internet Service Providers at source. The consumer would then be
billed in turn by the ISP. Washington, DC lawyer Richard Steep is working without pay to prevent this legislation from becoming law. The US Postal Service is claiming lost revenue, due to the proliferation of E-mail,is costing nearly $230,000,000 in revenue per year. You may have noticed their recent ad campaign: "There is nothing like a letter." Since the average person received about 10 pieces of E-mail per day in 1998, the cost of the typical individual would be an additional 50 cents a day - or over $180 per year - above and beyond their regular Internet costs. Note that this would be money paid directly to the US Postal Service for a service they do not even provide. The whole point of the Internet is democracy and
noninterference. You are already paying an exorbitant price for snail mail because of bureaucratic efficiency. It currently takes up to 6 days for a letter to be delivered from coast to coast. If the US Postal Service is allowed to tinker with E-mail, it will mark the end of the "free" Internet in the United States. Our congressional representative, Tony Schnell (R) has even suggested a "$20-$40 per month surcharge on all Internet service" above and beyond the governments proposed E-mail charges. Note that most of the major newspapers have ignored the story - the only exception being the Washingtonian - which called the
idea of E-mail surcharge "a useful concept who's time has come" (March 6th, 1999 Editorial). Do not sit by and watch your freedom erode away! Send this to E-mail to EVERYONE on your list, and tell all your friends and relatives write their congressional representative and say "NO" to Bill 602P. It will only take a few moments of your time and could very well be instrumental in killing a bill we do not
want.
Please forward!
Christopher Straub
[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>
(410)610-7467 Cell Phone

____________NetZero Free Internet Access and Email_________
Download Now http://www.netzero.net/download/index.html
Request a CDROM 1-800-333-3633
__________________________________________________ ___

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 11:06 PM

Re: Please read this guys and forward

That fortuneately is a hoax... That bill isn't even properly numbered. I believe it would be S602 or HR602 if it was an official one, not to mention that there is no "representative Schnell"...

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist
My August article on ORC

http://www.off-road.com/land
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Addict

It may have been a misprint from the webmaster on the bill number, or the representatives name, but it is fact, because it was in my local newspaper this week (and I'm in a large city) and my wife asked the post office about it when we were there today. Also, I don't know how, not saying you don't, that immediately after I got this tonight and posted it, could know that man or a variation of his name is real. You can e-mail the webmaster and find out for yourself where he got this info. He did leave his e-mail and cell number. A couple facts may be off a little bit because it has been a rumor but, I don't think the postal office people I have known for 3 years would lie when asked, because they don't want their e-mail to be raised either. I wouldn't post something if I didn't think there wasn't some truth to it or I didn't know it was fact. If you can verify this to be a hoax then great for all of us and I am sorry. Tom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 12:39 AM

Here's what U.S. Senator Tim Hutchinson's website has to say about bill 602P:
The following is copied from his website (http://www.senate.gov/~hutchinson/, the link to this article is at the bottom of his page...):
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

Frequently Asked Question

What is "Bill 602P"?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you may know, a rumor is being circulated on the Internet claiming that a "Congressman Schnell" has recently introduced "Bill 602P." The bill would purportedly allow the federal government to impose a 5-cent surcharge on all e-mail messages sent over the Internet. All revenues would be turned over to the U.S. Postal Service.

Let me clarify that neither Congress nor any federal government agency is considering assessing new charges on Internet traffic or changing the way consumers obtain and pay for access to the Internet. This rumor is completely false. No such congressman exists and bills are not numbered in this fashion. Moreover, the Postal Service has no authority to surcharge e-mail messages sent over the Internet and a proposal to grant this authority to the Postal Service would have little or no support in Congress. At any rate, you can be sure that as your senator I would not support such legislation.

In just a few years, the Internet has become a fixture in our daily commerce, entertainment, and communication. Most importantly, it has become a vital tool in educating our children. As cyberspace continues to grow at a rapid pace, Congress must grapple with the challenge of regulating unchartered territory. Please be assured that as the Senate considers legislation affecting the Internet, I will do my best to ensure that all Arkansans receive an equal opportunity to utilize this important resource.

<hr></blockquote>

And here's a link from Representative Mark Green's website about 602P: http://www.house.gov/markgreen/ (the link is on the left, in the "What's New" section)...

Incidentally, the way I knew it was a hoax, was that I had seen it before, and it had been a hoax before also... Last time I had looked up the roster of Congressmen and women (congress.gov), and had searched the House and Senate archives for that bill (even with the S and HR added to it)... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

This link goes to a USPS press release: http://www.usps.com/news/press/99/99045new.htm

Tom, I didn't and don't mean to sound like I was (am) being abrasive or impolite or anything like that, if I did (do), I apologize... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist
My August article on ORC

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Addict

Thank you so very much for clearing this up. I had no doubt whatsover and didn't have the means to find out. I guess this was a scare tactic from the free internet site that sent me the e-mail anyway. Sorry for the bad info. If you wish to delete all these posts we've made feel free to do so, however this would clear it up if anyone else here's this as well, Tom

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 12:18 PM

I have to say that if there's anything anyone finds (most likely pertaining to the Government and environmental issues)(stuff forwarded to them, webpages, etc...) that they even think may have some basis in truth, definitely post it... If it turns out to be fake, there's no harm done, but if it's real it could be just enough early warning to get organized to challenge it... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

I'm a believer that no posts should be deleted from this BBS, every single post here has the potential to show someone something they didn't know, so every single post is useful (I'm glad no one here deletes the older posts, those have proven useful to me plenty of times)... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Have a good one... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist
My August article on ORC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode