SFA ideas.... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

SFA ideas....

well, i have been thinking...what about swapping a jeep cherokee front axle and suspension and graphting it onto the s-10. if you get a 4 cylinder jeep, they had 4.10 gears.... just an idea. let me know what you think....good and bad. by using a mid-sized jeep, you then wouldn't have to cut the axles. if you get one with a trailer towing package, then the rear has a dana 44 and the front dana 30 (i think). well, shoot me down on this idea.

Craig

'89 S-10 4.3L 31" Yoko M/Ts
'88 Kawasaki Mojave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 09:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: SFA ideas....

I think you would then have the Stage-West kit... Check http://S10-4x4.com/SFA-StageWest/ for more info on this set-up...

Bad-Bowtie,
M.Hall
Senior Assistant Webmaster @ S10-4x4.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

well the cherokees have coil front suspension with control arms and the stagewest is a leaf spring kit....don't know which would be better....probably for what i would be doing (muddin) the leaf springs would work better....i think it would be a fun project but that comes with having the right supplies and cash flow which i have neither of right now, just dreaming, getting some ides....maybe spark someone elses interest...

Craig

'89 S-10 4.3L 31" Yoko M/Ts
'88 Kawasaki Mojave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 11:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You have to remember also that the Dana 30 is also the front axle on the TJ(Wrangler) and that there are manual hub kits, stronger axleshafts, a selection of gears, and especially lockers available for it. I think if you built it properly, a D30 would take a healthy small block and probably 35's if you're careful. I wish Jeep would have used Dana 44 fronts in Wranglers or Cherokees, then we'd have it made when doing a SFA conversion. I really think Mark had the right idea with the old Bronco drivetrain & suspension. easily lifted and virtually bulletproof even for a 20 yr old design. Its good to dream now when you have no cash, so that when you do you'll know exactly what you want and where to spend it all! I like the thought of an S10 cab on a fullsize 70's 4x4 chassis, maybe a blazer, v8 power, lightbody, SFA, great transfercases, and easy to lift. Done right it would be unstoppable, and unique. I dunno, it all depends on what you want to do.
A.S.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2000, 08:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

It just so happens that they discuss these very axles in the latest issue of Four Wheel&Off Road, in the very same isssue where they called S-series turds.(This coming from people who can't put a fan shroud on a Jeep to keep it from overheating!)Anyway, enough with slandering FW&ORs name.
They claim that the most desireable of these is from an XJ(Cherokee)and the 96-00 ones have the bigger U-joints(297 VS 260). The fulltime XJs lack most of the
axle disconnect B.S. and also have the reverse-rotation ring&pinion that a Wrangler or G.C. lack. The 4 cylinder Cherokees have the 4.10 gears. I think they also said that Drivetrain Direct has a kit to retrofit the 297(D44size) U -joints to replace the 260s. I've heard that Warn also sells HD axles and a manual hub kit for these too. If you look closely, a D30 kinda resembles a Ford 8.8". I don't think they made too many 4 cyl 4wd Cherokees, though especially after 1995. Hope this info helps.
A.S.
1989 S10 4x4 355
1989 SBlazer 4x4 4.3

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode