4.3 Performance - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2000, 03:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

4.3 Performance

Hey guys Chris
this coming winter im going to rebuild my trusted 4.3 Its getting a little tired. I plan on doing the following just a regular rebuild but bore it over .030 i need some new ideas its a 94 with TBI Im told that this is the same motor in the 93. I called about a head job and he asked if i just wanted a regular rebuild or if i wanted the ports polished and ported. I do know thinggs about engines but some things im still learning on. let me know guys the truck will be for mostly daily driving with trail rides.

Chris

Any body see the sticker that Says" eating dodges ****tin fords??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 11:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 4.3 Performance

I've heard that swapping on 95UP Vortech heads will net you 15HP up to around 190HP versus 160-175 for the TBI ones. It also seems the Vortech heads have better valve seals. Unless you plan on installing headers and or a free-flow exhaust, a port&polish probably won't be worth the money. The .030 overbore should increase your power a little. I would suggest getting your rotating assembly(rods,crank,pistons)balanced to add to the dependability. I'm not sure how much your machine shop is charging to do your heads, but look into the Vortech ones at least. Whatever you decide, good luck.
A.S.
1989 S10 4x4 355

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 11:52 PM
Addict

Just my 2 cents, but if you go with Vortec heads, you are out in the cold forever on changing to run a new aluminum intake or like a BDS roots BLOWER for $2300 or a Whipple charger roots Blower for $3800 or Edelbrock & stuff if you wanted too. If you want to stay stock and cheap, then I guess you can rebuild what you got. Just MAKE SURE, they don't neurolize the valve giudes with a reamer(that lasts about 6,000 mi) and they install NEW VLAVE GUIDES!!! If you go to the S-10 4x4 site and look at the Mods section, you will see that you can buy HiPo Aluminum Heads for 4.3's too and I priced them for around $600. Not bad with screw in studs, BIG VALVES, guideplates and stuff. Also, if you read my posts today, then you will see the 4.3 is dead anyway. Chevy has released the 4.2 inline double overhead cam 240 HP 6 now. The whole motor is computerized (I mean the whole motor too!)and probably as I read it, un-buildable for increased power for us wrenches. If you go to the newstand they have pics of the motor in there too. Things will cease to exist soon for parts except for the aftermarket, and quite frankly, they have left us in the cold the whole D*** time anyway. This is not rumor, go see the Street Trucks Oct 2000 issue for yourself, it flipped me out and POed me off as well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2000, 12:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks for the info guys. i do have the vortech heads on my truck. ill mostly be doing trail rides with the truck
so the littlebit more hp wont hurt. and that is a bummer that they are going to a inline six and the the 4.3 which i would back up 100%
later

dubster

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2000, 08:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

There are many things that can be done to improve performance before needing your heads polished. I have an 89 S10 Blazer with a 4.3 and I am very happy with it. You can put some Edelbrock headers on for around $200, and a Pace Setter Catback system for $170. (these prices are through Summit) From there you can add a K & N filter and some March under drive pulleys. These are some basic add ons that will boost you around 30-40 horsepower and not cost a whole bunch of money. From there you can up your cam and intake while you're rebuilding, and add on a Holley TBI. And last but not least, V8 conversion!! Which are made easier by your truck being a TBI already. That's my input to your situation.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 10:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Bevee, so you have the PaceSetter exhaust on your Blazer? from what I've seen of their products, they have quality control issues. Their H pipe on a buddies Mustang needed reweled after he bought it to fit, and another friends Civic exhaust fell off while driving around. I just got hosed by a local exh shop to the tune of $168 for a cat-back exh for my 89 Blazer(all stock exh). Now 3 weeks later its all rusty! And the exhaust still leaks! Its going back tomorrow!
I agree with all your other add-ons though except the cam. For $272, you can almost buy a Lock-right! A bit pricey for a mod. If you could find it cheaper though it would be totally worth it! Don't forget ignition upgrades either, the GM is ok for a stock engine, but a Jacobs or MSD really make the 4.3 act like a small block. Don't really ask me though, I skipped all these and went right to a small block on my S10, and probably will go for a Vortech for the Blazer, 200HP is fine for a daily driver thats 95% stock(31s). Its all a matter of opinion, some like squeezing every drop of power out of a 4.3, and some like lightly modifying a small block or even keeping it stock. I now like the smoothness of a 4.3 Vortech over a small block.
A.S.
1989 S10 4x4 355
1989 SBlazer 4x4 4.3

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode