Fluid Leak - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2000, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Fluid Leak

I have noticed some fluid collecting and dripping below my transmission(manual). I can't quite tell where it is originating though. I pulled off the skid plate and seems to be collecting right below what looks like a drain plug but it isn't coming from the plug. I am by no means a master mechanic and wasn't sure if this is coming from the tranny and if so is there a some where I can check the fluids in the tranny. As I stated before it is a manual tranny and I am not sure how I can check this. It looks like it is coming from the side opposite the driveshafts(if the helps). Any info would be appreciated because I would hate to have to take it to the dealership since my warranty is up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2000, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Re: Fluid Leak

Somebody at least humor me with something please. I'm concerned at what this could be.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2000, 11:49 PM

You can check your manual transmission fluid though a plug on the side. Not sure which side it would be on your model truck. There will be 2 plugs (on mine they have a square head for the fasteners so you can get a wrench on it and loosten it, not sure how yours is). The top one is the one you use to check it, and the bottom one is the one that you would use to drain your fluid if you were going to change it. Sorry that's not any more help...

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist
My August article on ORC

http://www.off-road.com/land
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 04:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm not too familiar with the newer S-10's but I was wondering what type of tranny fluid you use. My 89 manual uses automatic transmission fluid (Dexron II or higher ATF). If you run the same thing then it will be red in color and that would at least tell you if you are leaking tranny fluid. Then clean up the tranny real good and take a drive and try to narrow down where the leak is coming from. Check the tranny case half mating areas, plugs and driveshaft seal areas. Sorry I can't be anymore help. Good luck and if you find something post back and maybe someone can help with a fix. Cheers, Marty

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Don't know if this helps much but color-wise and consistency-wise it looks just like engine oil, but pretty sure that it isn't. Don't know if this helps anyone trying to help me solve my problem. I am going to check the fluid level in the tranny to see if it is low. To check the fluid I guess you should just be able to feel fluid. Let me know if this isn't correct. Thanks.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 07:27 PM

The feel and also the smell. Tranny fluid smells a lot different than regular engine oil.

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

http://members.xoom.com/desertride/index.htm
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 07:57 PM

That's right, to check the tranny fluid you undo the higher plug in the tranny, if it starts to flow out, you can put the plug back in without bothering to feel around in there for fluid since that's a good sign it's full. If the tranny fluid doesn't drip out of the upper filler plug hole, then you stick your pinky finger in there and see if you can feel any. Add ATF (auto tranny fluid) until it gets up to the level of the fill plug hole, then cap it off.

If it has the consistency and color of engine oil, it probably is... The only other fluid in your truck would be either gear lube (thicker, and stinks really bad), or brake fluid... And, since you have a hydraulic clutch with the manual tranny (I think the new ones are hydraulic, the 85 I have is hydraulic), it's conceivable that your clutch cylinder (I think that's what they call it), or a clutch fluid line might be leaking a little, but then again that would probably make your clutch work like crap due to air getting in there. Check the level of your hydraulic clutch fluid level. There should be a resovoir for it labeled as clutch fluid somewhere near the brake master cylinder (again, a guess about it's location since I haven't seen a newer one with manual tranny). Be careful with the rubber diaphragm in there, don't tear it or anything or some form of bad stuff will happen, I don't remember what, I think it's to keep the air and water out of there (moisture messes with brake fluid)...

Good luck, keep us posted...

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist
My August article on ORC

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Here is the scoop. I checked the fluid in the tranny. Couldn't feel any with my finger other than what was on the components inside. So I pulled the console out of my truck, removed the shifter boot, and the removed the foam that was around the base of the shifter so I could see the top-side of the tranny. Guess what, It looks like my leak is coming from around the base of the shifter assembly. There is a seal there and I am thinking that maybe that is the culprit. The bolts that bolt the shifter assembly to the tranny are tight. Is it possible to replace the seal or is that part of the whole shifter assembly. Also does anyone no where I can get a part # for the shifter assembly or the seal. All the service dealerships are closed. Any info would be appreciated.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 08:33 PM

Is it a gasket or a seal? I think there's a difference there, don't quote me on that... I think the difference is that for a gasket you can sometimes use RTV as a replacement for it after you pull the two pieces apart and clean up both surfaces well (put the RTV on, all around the area to be sealed, make a circle around all bolt holes, let sit about 10-15 minutes, and put it back in and torque it down and let it sit for a little while), but a seal can't be RTV'ed because there's something inside the seal that moves around... (I'm probably not making much sense here...)

But anyhow, it's definitely a good idea to get a second opinion on this info... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Perhaps someone out there in BBS land has a FSM (factory service manual) that details the part numbers of the items you seek... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist
My August article on ORC

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

I would definately call it a seal. It looks somewhat like a little boot. It comes up the side of the shifter assembly about half an inch. I used a small screwdriver and moved it away from the assembly a little and there was fluid there. I don't know if this helps.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode